Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Typical spot, but I am not sure how to proceed

50 BBs deep. Folded to you in the CO with 66. You raise to 4xBB.

Folds to BB who calls.

Flop is AJ4 with two hearts (you have no hearts).

BB checks. Hero...???

I don't understand what to do in this spot. Betting is basically a bluff because we have to check behind on the turn if we don't improve.

But at the same time, it seems that betting as a bluff is the only way to win this pot as checking behind all but tells villain we have given up.

So what to do?

Finally, does you answer change if both the SB and the BB called PF?

Sherman
Old 08-13-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Typical spot, but I am not sure how to proceed

You raised pf so you need to cbet here, unless villain never folds to flop bet, then I check behind most of the time. Against two players I still bet out, unless (as I said before) one or both never fold flop.

Then again this changes if they always call flop but fold to turn bet. But most of the time I'm cbetting here.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:11 PM

Good time to continuation bet against most villans. Against some major stations check it behind.

Ace and Jack would definately be in your range, and if you had either you would be betting to add value and protect against the flush. You will take this down alot of the time.

Against 2 players it comes down to your image at the table and how active they are. If they are stations you dont CB. If they are both tight, you still can bet in this spot. Alot of tight players will reraise preflop with hands that have hit this board.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:13 PM

Against an unknown, i'm c-betting 100% of the time pretty much. With two callers, i won't cbet that much without a hand.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:14 PM

i bet this almost all of the time, about 3/4 of the pot,

if they both call i probably check behind about half the time, if i checked i'm betting the turn if i get two more checks
Old 08-13-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting is basically a bluff because we have to check behind on the turn if we don't improve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. Betting here is often betting for value with the best hand (vs KQ, T9, T8, T7, T6, 98, 97, 56, 22, etc).

In the cases when we aren't betting value, we are folding out better hands (77-TT, KJ, QJ, TJ, J9) that are afraid of the ace.

So we have two ways to win. Our winning hand holds up, or we fold out better hands that cannot proceed in face of the A on the board.

Not a big deal if we have to check the turn. We would do the same sometimes with something like AT or possibly AQ (depending on villian) for pot control. Those times we check AT/AQ and bet/call a small amount on the river will show the villian that just because we check the turn doesn't mean we don't have a winning hand.

If you don't c-bet this flop, you can be bluffed off of it on the turn. If I called your raise with 22 for example and you check this flop, I will lead the turn and put YOU on the decision. Also, because you didn't like the flop, I may double on the river as well, putting you on a tougher decision (if you made it past the turn, that is).

Put me on the decision instead, C-bet here.

Edit:
Obviously you have to take into account your villian and his tendencies. If he doesn't fold a lot on the flop, you may choose not to c-bet this flop and wait for something better like A72r. If your opponent loves to call with Ax and PP's from the blinds (and nothing else), he's more like to have an A that he'll continue with.

There was a great article on c-betting (in the stickies) in which the author referred to heads-up c-betting as, "Find me a reason NOT to c-bet."

I like that attitude. Look at the texture of the flop, you opponent, your position, stack sizes, etc and find a good reason NOT to c-bet. If you can't find one, c-bet.

Worst case scenario is that it helps your metagame and you lose a few chips.

There are many other best case scenarios.

1) They fold.
2) They call and you turn a six.
3) They are flush chasers but fold turns a lot when it doesn't hit, so you double barrel and get the fold.
4) They lead the turn and you fold and this sets you up for bigger hands later.
5) They check the turn and you check behind and hit a six on the river.
6) You check it down and your hand holds up.

I think the key here is, think about your opponent's likely range, their tendencies (fold a lot on flop? fold a lot on turn?), your image, etc.

OOP, you might consider check/fold, but in position, I think you have to bet to his check here almost always.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:47 PM

Also, just noticed 50BB deep. Why are you 50BB instead of 100BB or more?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:48 PM

Ok great. That's pretty much the same way I was thinking too (i.e. betting for value against certain hands and bluffing against others).

[ QUOTE ]
OOP, you might consider check/fold, but in position, I think you have to bet to his check here almost always.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I am more interested in this scenario. You raise with 66 from MP. The button calls and everyone else folds.

Now what?

I mean, I am asking these questions b/c I typically c-bet and shut-down if called and U/I. So this is standard right?
Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok great. That's pretty much the same way I was thinking too (i.e. betting for value against certain hands and bluffing against others).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I am more interested in this scenario. You raise with 66 from MP. The button calls and everyone else folds.

Now what?

I mean, I am asking these questions b/c I typically c-bet and shut-down if called and U/I. So this is standard right?

[/ QUOTE ]

against unknowns, yes, super standard.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:55 PM

First step is reload to 100B so that you can get good implied odds from your low pocket pair.

Second is cbet since you are the aggressor and you will take this pot down a lot.

+EV