Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 12:21 PM

Default QQ in a tricky situation

Hi.

I'd like some feedback on a type of hand that's causing me some trouble. I've figured out lately this kind of hand is probably a leak in my game. This morning, i ran into a perfect example that i'm posting here. It's a full ring NL200 game at Full tilt and i pick up QQ in the big blind. There's an early position limper and everyone folds to the small blind, who raises it to $8.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.comFlopTurnRiver.com (Format: Plain Text)

MP3 ($198)
CO ($266.15)
Button ($176.40)
SB ($279.85)
BB ($179.60)
Hero ($209.40)
UTG+1 ($193)
MP1 ($273.15)
MP2 ($112.75)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Qc, Qh. Hero posts a blind of $2.
1 fold, MP1 calls $2, 4 folds, SB raises to $9, Hero (poster) raises to $28, 1 fold, SB calls $18.

Flop: ($57) 4d, Td, 7s (3 players)
SB bets $30, Hero raises to $60, SB calls $30.

Turn: ($177) 4h (3 players)
SB checks...

Here's what know about the small blind guy: he's a semi-loose guy with pretty much standard aggression (24/10/2.7). I have not seen him picking on limpers with any two and i have not seen him make any spectacular moves or anything so far. I'm guessing his range for this raise is something like AT+, KJ+, some suited connectors and 22+.

My image at this table is probably tightish/aggressive. I have not made any squeeze plays (which i guess this might look like). I'm not merely calling with this hand to mine a set, so i reraise him pot. I figure i beat a lot of his range and i have position on him. The limper folds as expected and SB calls my raise. Now that's a sign of strength. He's not the kind of donk who can't let a bluff go. I'd say this tightens his range up to AQs+, AK and pairs, probably something like 88+.

On a 47T flop with two diamonds, he bets out $30 into the $54 pot. Here's where i need to make a smart decision, but i'm not sure i did. I raise him up to $60 and he calls. To me, this looks like a probe-type bet, but his subsequent call worries me. To me, this tightens up his range even further. I doubt he's go a set. I don't think he'd make the preflop raise/call with 44 or 77 and i don't think he'd play TT like this on the flop. He could be playing AK of diamonds like this. He might also put me on an AK type of hand or a lower pair and make this call with 88, 99 or JJ. He might be slowplaying AA or KK (or playing KK really cautiously, fearing i have AA).

The turn comes another four, which i assume doesn't change the situation at all. He checks. The pot is $174. What do i do now? Can i bet less than all in here? I don't think so. I'm thinking if i go all in, i'll only get called by a better hand - AA, KK or the unlikely TT and maybe AdKd (which would make me a 68% favourite). Checking behind then? I'd keep the pot size down and possibly induce a bluff with some of the hands that i beat. So the all-in bet is no good, right? If i check and he shoves on the river, do i call him (having induced a bluff)?

I'll press the stop button there and ask for some feedback. Is my preflop reraise bad (i don't think so). Is my minraise of his flop bet bad? I don't like it, but what's the alternative? Folding to a probe type bet seems really weak. Calling accomplishes very little in my opinion and shoving on the flop will make the hands i beat fold and i'll get called by hands that beat me (unless he makes a really tight KK fold).

Is calling the flop and folding to a turn bet the best play? If the turn goes check-check and bets out on the river, do i have a call or am i done with the hand after his bet-call on the flop?

It looks to me like this guy is willing to play his hand for stacks and it looks to me like i might be way behind.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: QQ in a tricky situation

Your reraise is fine I think, and I shove this turn all day.

Flop would be better if you raised to like 105 or something but it's fine because you might just give him perceived FE with a smaller pair but I doubt it.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Re: QQ in a tricky situation

I think you should expect to be ahead on this turn alot. I hate your flop raise though. Just calling his lead is fine, also raising is equally good however your sizing sucks. Id raise more and be fine with getting it in here