Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 04:01 PM

Default He calls every time I raise

The player on my left calls every time I raise, and will float/come over the top of my c-bet. Here are 4 hands I've played against him.

I raise AK, he calls. Low flop, I bet, he raises, I fold.

I raise 99. Flop comes KT3. I bet, he calls. I check turn, he bets. I fold.

I raise 88. Flop is 7 high. I bet, he calls. Turn 9. I check, representing whiffed overs and intending to raise his bet, but he checks behind. River, J. check/check. He has QT.

I raise AQ and flop an ace. I bet, he folds.

I'm getting really frustrated because I find myself having to play every single pot OOP, and I hate playing OOP. The thing is, the rest of the table is soft except this one guy, so I don't wanna leave, and there's a waiting list of 4 players, so if I get up I won't be able to come back for a while. What can I do?
Old 08-09-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Re: He calls every time I raise

Is online or live game?
Live game, ask for a sit change and make sure that you have position over him. Problem solved.
Online game, a little trickier, wait for an open sit and make sure there is no one line up in the waiting list. Remove yourself from the game and sign back to the table again. You will be able to get the new sit, however, you will need to post BB again in order to continue.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:29 PM

There is a long wait list. Also, poker.com won't allow seat changing. If you get up and come beck, you can only take the seat you were in before.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:34 PM

find a new table. seriously.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:03 PM

Right now, this guy is using his position, plus his read on you as being a little weak tight, plus a pot-to-stack ratio of ~10 that is difficult for top-pair hands to play OOP to steal you blind. Your target SPR for top pair should be much lower versus this opponent to commit OOP. Otherwise, he can use his position to steal on many, many flops. And if the flop is not favorable for a steal, he can just fold to the cb and be only out the 4bb preflop call. In fact, he can even make you laydown top pair sometimes on coordinated flops by floating the cb and betting or raising a scary turn with the threat of an all-in on the river.

I would recommend limp/reraising with AK sometimes to represent more strength and create a lower SPR. Alternatively, if you think he's stealing light when you show weakness, you might *occasionally* c/c him down to the river when you make TPTK.

Alternatively, you can just raise more preflop with hands like AK just commit to them fully by cb'ing the flop, then CRAI with TPTK on the turn. Try for a SPR of ~5 by raising 8. Hit top pair top kicker. CB. Then CRAI on the turn. He won't like that very much since he probably doesn't have the best hand many of the times that he's stealing like that.

Finally, vs this particular guy, you might want to just c/f on coordinated low flops OOP especially if you have a poor SPR. It would be better to lose your small 4bb raise than give up your 4bb raise + 8bb CB and possibly a bigger turn bet only to fold on the river to a tricky, aggressive player behind you.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:23 PM

stay the course preflop. double barrell if he just calls the cbet. fold when he shows agg. seems like a typical passive flopstation to me, nothing to change tables for. these guys can be played against even oop profitably, you just hit a run of a few hands where he hit and you miss. when you both hit, you'll take him out.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:26 PM

I have nothing to add; I'm just happy we can start talking SPR in strategy posts now . . . [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Nice post Albert.