Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 03:12 AM

Default Remembering ranks and suits: Live

Just finished playign somelive 4/8 stud hig for the 2nd time ever. I have played a fair amount of online LL stud high. Remembering discards, suits & ranks has never been a prob for me online but playing live I fall apart and forget a lot of them. I know it s alot easier onlinecasue you don't have to look all around the table at the upcards. Any tips?
Old 08-09-2007, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Remembering ranks and suits: Live

I think you asked me about this once before I told you that when the dealer is pitching out my two down cards I quickly look at them and typically only make an effort to remember the cards that I think would relate to my hand.

I was however unwinding after playing the game with two cards the other night and really just visualized the cards rather can try to remember them by counting them in order. I typically would rather go 'OK, KQJ8756' and forget them because that really works much better when playing stud8 and you only have to remember cerca 3-4 cards instead of all 7.

It worked much better and obviously also incorporate the first bit of advice and you will be fine.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:51 AM

There's two good articles linked in the faq, about half way down.

Aq.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:21 AM

THanks
Old 08-09-2007, 04:45 PM

I look at my cards last actually and as the cards come out say them to myself only in rank, then take a last look and see if there are any three or four of a suit. Then I look at my cardsa and decide. I found this also helps me make a more honest decision. Instead of looking at concealed nines then see a nine fall somewhere else and get stubborn and still play them. Or see three diamonds and then three more fall out, and play the draw.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:32 AM

Doc that makes even more sense.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 AM

This is also the exact same method I use, whether playing live or on-line. I quickly make a judgment based on visible door cards as to what numerical values are deadish, what suits are deadish and what straight draws are deadish. Then I look at my own cards to see if they are playable based upon their value and my position, and then lastly determine what impact the deadish door cards would have on my hand. Finally, I wait to see what action takes place before it's my turn and take another look at the door cards behind me before I decide whether to enter the pot and for what amount. I then apply the same technique on each subsequent street.

I realize that my approach doesn't really answer OP's question about memorization of cards, and I guess that's my point: I really don't concentrate so much on memorizing cards (a tactical approach to playing), as I do on analyzing the visible cards (a strategic approach to playing).