Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 02:22 AM

Default Bet this turn, or just give up?

You guys pop this turn again, or just call it a day? Villian unknown.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5.16 BB
Old 08-08-2007, 02:46 AM

Default Re: Bet this turn, or just give up?

I think iam likely to check unless villain is passive and peels any two.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:16 AM

If I get checkraised here by an unknown I'll fold. He has no reason to believe that you don't have anything for risking 2BB for winning a small pot.

I think preflop and flop is just fine, but you must assume when playing against an unknown that he is sane untill otherwise proved. So what will a sane person call with on a rainbow flop(we are considering whether to bet the turn). The 3 most likely hands are
1) a pair of 5's - we beat them all(better kicker)
2) a pair of 8's - we are drawing to 5 outs at best.
3) a pair of Q's - we are drawing to 5 outs at best.

There are other possibilities like weak draws like gutshot or OESD(67). Furthermore he could just peel the flop with nothing. And third he could have a set. Let's just assume that the setpossibilities and the weak drawing possibilities cancel out. Then we have to go back to the 3 most likely hands which we will be behind against 2/3 of the time. This speaks for a check on the turn and a call on the riverbet because we get odds to call if we are a 1/3 dog. Furthermore we may improve on the river and could raise.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a bet. But its close. There is still a lot of draws that didnt get there and Hero can still get value from worse 5's.

Another reason why I like betting is that I wouldnt know how to handle a river bet. I doubt that Hero will be good very often if he checks turn and calls a river bet.

Finally, I think its important to c-bet enough turns so that villains cant peel any2 OOP on the flop and see a free river.

Oh, and I will fold to a raise here. Not enough draws and not enough reads. At higher stakes I would bet/cal down trying to establish that "unbluffable-I-will-c'bet-a-lot-of-turns" image
Old 08-08-2007, 09:08 AM

clear fold, all you have is bottom pair, the villain most certanly have a queen since he is raising you on that drawless board, just muck it
Old 08-08-2007, 11:12 AM

sometimes i bet sometimes i check it s really depends on vilain and my image.
if i m new to the table i check.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a bet. But its close. There is still a lot of draws that didnt get there and Hero can still get value from worse 5's.

Another reason why I like betting is that I wouldnt know how to handle a river bet. I doubt that Hero will be good very often if he checks turn and calls a river bet.

Finally, I think its important to c-bet enough turns so that villains cant peel any2 OOP on the flop and see a free river.

Oh, and I will fold to a raise here. Not enough draws and not enough reads. At higher stakes I would bet/cal down trying to establish that "unbluffable-I-will-c'bet-a-lot-of-turns" image

[/ QUOTE ]

Which draws didnt get there on the turn? I only see 97 and 67. I do agree with your other points though.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:22 PM

KT, K9, 64, 74 and maybe a few more that I missed
Old 08-08-2007, 01:24 PM

If you check, are you calling any river that doesn't improve us?