Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 01:54 AM

Default how to protect this hand ?

Hi all, trying to learn LHE and need some help with some hands. So here is my first post.

no reads on any player, had only played a couple of hands.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

River: (11 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

so what do you think about this hand ? my main concern was how to protect the hand with all the possible straight and flush draws. should i maybe wait to turn before raising ?
Is there anything else bad about my play ?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Re: how to protect this hand ?

yeah just bet/3bet the flop. else is fine.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:01 AM

Lead the flop. Protection is ually going to take a back seat to value betting, especially because the draws that you want to fold on the flop won't fold for any number of bets on the flop.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:15 AM

thats true. but lets say i only call the flop raise and check raise him on the turn to drive UTG out. would that be a awful play ?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:20 AM

made some math and saw that he will have the odds to draw anyway. so guess its best to bet and pray that no one hits.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:22 AM

Your hand is so strong you don't need to worry about protection. You shuold be going for maximum value. So keep ticking the "bet/raise" box until you are given a pretty good reason not to.

Someone posted something on here that stuck with me that went along the lines of:

When you flop top two-pair, there are only five possibly combinations of hands that can beat you.

e.g. you are only behind 2 very unlikely JJ and TT combos (no preflop raise makes these unlikely) and 3 combos of 22. So basically, go nuts. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2007, 02:27 AM

ok will do that next time [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
by the way if i want to post more hands should i post them within this thread or make a new ?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok will do that next time [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
by the way if i want to post more hands should i post them within this thread or make a new ?

[/ QUOTE ]

NH, lead the flop.
General rule is one hand per post and no more than 2 posts on the front page ( ~per day)
Old 08-08-2007, 03:15 AM

Why on earth no flop bet? The rest is standard.. You're OOP, so protecting simply becomes betting the hand.

The only time you'd want to check is if you're HU or 3way on this flop and someone has shown some aggression PF. You might also check if the person to the direct left or right of you was the preflop aggressor..here are two different scenarios where you would want each:
If the aggressor is to your left, you check, they bet, there are some callers, and then you bump it, trapping everyone else who has called in between (probably not something you'd do with this hand due to the flush draws and potential BDSDs)
If the aggressor is to your right, you check if you think everyone will check to the PFRer. Once he bets, you raise, forcing the field to call two cold on the flop, thereby reducing their outs. This is something you could do with this hand simply because of the flush draw, but since there was no aggression PF, you don't know for sure if the bet will come from your immediate right.

In this hand, I bet down to the river (that is, with all the same cards that fell).
Old 08-08-2007, 03:22 AM

Checking this flop isn't terrible. Against 5 opponents it's pretty safe to assume someone will find a reason to bet. The real reason to lead out is that you get to bet/3bet instead of c/r'ing and getting flat called.