Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2007, 04:03 AM

Default BB defend NLCASH

Ok i saw cwar actually folding A7o in the BB in his hu video vs a 3xbb raise.

Obviously hes a great player so i think might underestimate the reverse implied odds concept.

But heres my thought about BB defend..

Lets say you call with A7o, KTo 22-55 etc. 15%
and reraise with AT+, 66+ and sometimes other stuff to 10%

So you are acutally folding 75% of the time!

My point here is that i get far too much value in the small Blind by simply raising any 2 cards.

lets say i get 72o in the sb, hows my value of raising:

75% of the time i gain 1bb so thats +0.75bb value
10% of the time i loose 3bb so thats -0.3bb value
15% of the time i see a flop with as a hopeless underdog, but in position, but i still have at least 33% equity of the 6bb pot = 2bb = loss of 1bb = -0.15bb value.

So thats 0.3 bb raising value of 72o instead of loosing the 0.5 bb by folding of course!

In a perfect world i would imagine raising 72o isnt profitable, with that underdefend its superprofitable.

Vs an Opponent that limps the button quite a bit an seldom raises it i think its ok to fold A7.
But an Opponent that comes in for a 3xbb raise as Standard and raises about 50% of his cards lets say, you got with A2o 50% equity of the pot.
Folding looses 1bb.

So heres my question is the reverse implied odds really making up that much? I cant really imagine that.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:12 AM

Default Re: BB defend

Because this is NLHE it is much too complex an problem to solve the way you are trying.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:44 AM

But you have to admit that if you defend that tight i can raise 72o and just wait for a fullhouse on the flop an would make a profit.

But i know what you mean, thats why im asking. Dont take it as an insult of your play, im just trying to understand or quantify the reverse implied concept.
I mean most of the good players fold low Aces there, not just you. Brian Townsend is an example.

Im just trying to understand.. i mean i know the reasoning behind it i think, just cant quantify it.

Do you play Cashgames too? Could you post how much you lost on the bb and how much won in sb?
Also really longterm stats (like 500k hands or something) of the low aces in the bb would be very interesting.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:50 AM

cwar,

What tag does this post need? I haven't seen the video.

op,

Please read the sticky
Old 08-08-2007, 05:04 AM

I think it applies both to NLTRN and NLCash, although the video was a sit-n-go. Whatever tag you feel is appropriate for that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2007, 05:22 AM

Im sorry, didnt read it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

The Tag would be NLCASH, dont know how to edit.
(The Video was NLTRN though)

My Point of view is more suitable to Sngs, because you dont have bigstacks and equity plays more of a role.

I also have no real idea how exactly the handranges should change when playing like 400bb deep etc.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because this is NLHE it is much too complex an problem to solve the way you are trying.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not. You can say "I adjust and if he raises every hand I do this in response", but OP's math is solid -- if you're only defending 25% of your BBs, opening w/any 2 is +EV.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not. You can say "I adjust and if he raises every hand I do this in response", but OP's math is solid -- if you're only defending 25% of your BBs, opening w/any 2 is +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its +EV preflop doesnt mean its +EV in whole.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:47 PM

You def. don't want to be playing too many mediocre hands out of the BB, it's way too easy for an opponent to take it away from you post flop, if they ARE raising 75% of their hands, can't you just widen up your 3bet range and make this super-profitable against them... ? I mean you have to adapt, but you don't want to adapt by just weak-calling, IMO it would be much better to widen your raising range, but as for the math you can't calculate a problem out like this, because jut because you have pre-flop equity vs his range doesn't mean it's going to be +EV to call, there are alot more elements to take into account
Old 08-08-2007, 02:31 PM

Yea obviously Primordial is correct, while I may only call around 25% of my hands OOP but I play way more than that, also FYI the video was of a $33 where you will rarely ever have to worry about someone raising 100% OTB higher stakes you may see me open my calling range more depending on the villain.