Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 09:08 PM

Default $1.2 TPTK scare board

Oke I have 2 hands where I was not certain what to do and I busted out on them. They are basically the same.

-- Hand 1 --
PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1810)
UTG+1 (t1530)
MP1 (t1770)
MP2 (t1440)
Hero (t1460)
Button (t1370)
SB (t1590)
BB (t2530)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls t20, UTG+1 calls t20, MP1 calls t20, MP2 calls t20, <font color="red">Hero raises to t140</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, UTG calls t120, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>

Flop: (t370) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t300</font>, UTG calls t300

Turn: (t970) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">UTG bets t1370 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t1020 (All-in)

River: (t3360) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)

-- Hand 2 --
PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1480)
UTG+1 (t1550)
MP1 (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)
Button (t1490)
SB (t1480)
BB (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is in MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls t20, UTG+1 calls t20, MP1 calls t20, <font color="red">Hero raises to t140</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO calls t140, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t120, MP1 calls t120

Flop: (t610) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="red">MP1 bets t80</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t425</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t425, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>

Turn: (t1540) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">UTG+1 bets t985 (All-in)</font>, Hero calls t935 (All-in)

River: (t3460) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

Are the calls correct? How about the raises and amounts?
Thanks in advance.

Edit:
I add another hand:

-- Hand 3 --
PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2830)
UTG+1 (t1350)
Hero (t1395)
CO (t815)
Button (t1305)
SB (t3535)
BB (t2270)

Preflop: Hero is in MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t50, <font color="red">Hero raises to t200</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t150, UTG+1 calls t150

Flop: (t625) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets t50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises to t750</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t1195 (All-in)</font>, UTG+1 calls t400 (All-in)

Turn: (t3420) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t3420) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)

Correct?
Old 08-05-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Re: $1.2 TPTK scare board

i don't like hand 1 because we don't have redraws, and both the straight and flush draws got there, and if we're behind we're looking for 4 outs. the overbet is kind of awkward but i think it's more of a reason to fold than call.

hands 2 and 3 are fine i think, there's a very good chance you're still ahead in hand 2 and if not you've got redraws, and hand 3 i'm not gonna fold KK at that level when they could be min-raising loads of crappy hands.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:26 PM

I think you need to raise more to push out limpers and play faster when you are very sure you are ahead.

Hand 1: Raise to 200 or even 225. Raising to 140 could easily leave you with 4 caller (see Hand 2). When you hit and the straight AND flush draw comes you need to pot it to make them over pay, but here that commits you so I would just push.

Hand 2: Raise more preflop. A3/A5 are totally in their range so their is straight flush draw out there. I push this flop.

Hand 3: I think this is ok, but I prefer another line. Another problem these players have besides paying to much for draws is that they often don't make you pay when they hit big hands. So I think I would just try to call down and try to get to a cheap showdown.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you need to raise more to push out limpers and play faster when you are very sure you are ahead.

Hand 1: Raise to 200 or even 225. Raising to 140 could easily leave you with 4 caller (see Hand 2). When you hit and the straight AND flush draw comes you need to pot it to make them over pay, but here that commits you so I would just push.

Hand 2: Raise more preflop. A3/A5 are totally in their range so their is straight flush draw out there. I push this flop.

Hand 3: I think this is ok, but I prefer another line. Another problem these players have besides paying to much for draws is that they often don't make you pay when they hit big hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.
What do you mean by:
"but I prefer another line"?
Old 08-05-2007, 10:36 PM

Sorry I accidentally forgot this part -- I would try to get to a cheap showdown. A lot of times they dont make you pay when they have monsters. Winning a huge pot is not that much better for you then winning a big one. However, busting is a disaster since with over 1000 and coming to L4 you would still have a great shot of making the money.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:35 AM

*Don't post results - "I busted out on them"*

Hand 1: I probably give up in a $1. The Limp-call UTG, check-call, shove turn line sure smells like a set (or AA) to me. I've been on the wrong side of that a number of times, and each time it was a set. Passive villains at this level will do that with big pocket pairs (or even small pairs hoping to set mine). Note that the PF line (if a pair) isn't bad as he's got the implied odds to draw to a set - rule of 5 and 10 - but it's real close. Also note that his line is terrible, and if villain has a set he's much better off CRAI on the flop because you are always calling vs. his AA/KK/QQ/44. On top of that, the flush came in but I don't think we're playing against some wacky sooted connector in this case and the three biggest clubs are out. There are times where it's a bad fold, but you still have t1000 and shouldn't have a problem outplaying these monkeys.

Hand 2: I probably just shove the flop. I like the raise amount vs. a thinking villain as you give him bad odds to draw one card on the flop and leave yourself enough behind to give bad odds on the turn. However, in a $1 villains will call the shove with lots of flush draws on this flop or even wheel draw hands. As played, I begrudgingly give up on the turn as $1 players love to draw bad to flushes and then can't wait to get their chips in the middle when they come in. (Oooo, JdTd is pretty so I should call a raise PF. Wow, only one more diamond for my flush; I'll bet small here to see if I can win it right now if nobody has an Ace. Oops, he raised - I'd better call since I have a flush draw. Whoopeee! Flush came in I'm Arrr-Innnn!)

Hand 3: I don't fold KK here because I see enough weird hands get it all in here (JJ, TT, A8, JT) but the minraise is scary. Remember: $1 villains usually don't know how to play a monster without a minraise. Let me guess, AA or A9?
Old 08-06-2007, 07:48 AM

Hands 2 and 3 look fine. Hand 1 I'm definitely raising a lot more preflop with all those limpers, in fact I like to just shove this preflop as at this level more likely than not someone will call you with AT/KQ/other random garbage we dominate. As played I don't think the postflop play is too bad, flop bet size is nice and I don't think I'm ever folding the turn when we make top two, even if it does complete a load of draws.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:02 AM

hand 1: I raise to t160 preflop and bet t275-300 on the flop
I would call the push, but it`s close..Could be a semi-bluff, KQ, AQ maybe, K-x and A-x (not sure how bad they play), combo-draw and some weird hands

hand 2: I like the preflop-raise..I prefer a t500-raise on the flop and call the turn..We got some outs if he got it

hand 3: I like it..NH
Old 08-06-2007, 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2: I probably just shove the flop. I like the raise amount vs. a thinking villain as you give him bad odds to draw one card on the flop and leave yourself enough behind to give bad odds on the turn. However, in a $1 villains will call the shove with lots of flush draws on this flop or even wheel draw hands. As played, I begrudgingly give up on the turn as $1 players love to draw bad to flushes and then can't wait to get their chips in the middle when they come in. (Oooo, JdTd is pretty so I should call a raise PF. Wow, only one more diamond for my flush; I'll bet small here to see if I can win it right now if nobody has an Ace. Oops, he raised - I'd better call since I have a flush draw. Whoopeee! Flush came in I'm Arrr-Innnn!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I didn't notice that you hold the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. That changes my whole strategy and I'm calling the turn here. No matter what the villain has, you have outs to improve (anywhere from 7 - 15).