Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2006, 03:54 PM

Default 30/60 high: Strong hand played weak

I think this speaks for itself mostly. 3rd street raiser is weakish, 3rd street reraiser is decent, aggressive.

7 Card Stud High ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.33 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___folds

4th Street - (10.67 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___double bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (7.33 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (9.33 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (13.33 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___bets
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

Total pot: (15.33 BB)
Old 02-25-2006, 06:01 PM

Default Re: 30/60 high: Strong hand played weak

I'm confused why you didn't 3bet 6th or raise the river?
Old 02-25-2006, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused why you didn't 3bet 6th or raise the river?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think because villain could have Aces full.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:55 PM

I think a case can be made for third. I'm not saying I'd do it, but I think that it is highly likely that the raiser has pocket Aces, and you have a dead hand. I wouldn't go around telling people that I folded pocket Kings, of course.

After that, he's got you by the short hairs. I don't think there's a lot you can do differently, but I have a hard time putting him on anything other than pocket Aces. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:00 PM

If he has pocket aces, why not raise 4th?
Old 02-25-2006, 09:04 PM

By raising fourth, you really give your hand away.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Given the read, at this point why not?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:35 PM

It certainly looks like AA is the most likely hand for villain, although I would guess he would make at least the first raise on 3rd with any hand he wanted to play. Once the K up has gone, I'm not sure whether an aggressive, sensible player could cap 3rd with JJ or QQ in the hole, given that hero is less likely to have kings. I suppose he could have A88.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may as well raise fourth. A competent player would probably have a range of 66 or KK in the hole to call a bet. The pot is already a decent size, so if villain decided to fold to a raise here, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I'm not sure if I could resist three-betting sixth here - I know villain could have aces full, but I have a lot more strength than I've shown so far. Does villain respect hero's play, and will he assume that hero must have quite a big hand to call 4th?
Old 02-26-2006, 12:03 PM

Default My thoughts, no results yet.

Well I was hoping for a little more commentary here so I won't post results yet.

I do think a case can be made for folding 3rd. I figured this reraiser could definitely have (A8)8 or similar in this case, but it's true that my hand is slightly dead. People do reraise higher upcards a lot in this game, but the first raiser was not in steal position really so aces may in fact be likely for reraiser. To be honest right after I raised on 3rd I said "oh maybe I shouldn't have done that."

I also now agree that on 4th it might be best to just raise. Maybe just maybe he will put me on a flush draw now, and whatever he has I can't see him folding. The problem I thought was that at this point it could actually slow down a hand like AA88, but it's hard to see that this hand would give more action later so...

5th seemed like a real bad card to me, even if he has A8 down I'm now behind. I was already ready to just call down.

Then 6th came and he checked, and I just couldn't let it get checked down if it turned out he had QQ88 or something. When he raised I probably should have just folded but thoguht there was enough chance of 888AA.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:04 PM

You played this fine - this is exactly the type of hand where people ignore logic and raise a later street, punishing themseleves. Basically if you raise somewhere and get three bet, you are winning somewhere in the realm of never yet you have to pay like an ATM. The guy got in a nice checkraise and probably has you beat - give him credit for that. You're still not folding trip kings headsup...so I call down like you did after 6th.

Jeff