Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 02:11 PM

Default TV Trends and the future

As a former TV news guy, and TV junkie in general, I'm always interested to follow the trends in the industry as how we watch TV evolves. I find it fascinating that 10 years ago, something like the DVR wasn't even on the radar screen for most people, yet now we take is as a way of life which really has changed the user experience for the viewer.

And with all of the industry folks who frequent this forum, I really enjoy the threads related to movies and TV.

So my question is, what's the next big trend?

To me, I think the clear immediate change will be to see how user-generated content impacts the networks. The combination of network programming and internet is still a little awkward in my view, but someone is going to figure it out soon. And with the iTV eventually coming out, along with XBox Live, and those future capabilities, I think the delivery of programming will continue to change.

From the viewer perspective, what are some of your expectations? What do you expect from TV web sites when it comes to providing information and interactivity? Is anyone doing it well?

I'll give some thoughts throughout. But otherwise, discuss!
Old 08-03-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: TV Trends and the future

On a Sunday in the fall in the not so distant future I will be able to decide which of the 20 plus camera angles I like most when watching my favorite football game. I will have my mini version of the control room truck out in the parking lot of the game. My wife will seek a divorce.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The combination of network programming and internet is still a little awkward in my view, but someone is going to figure it out soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Nolan, cool thread topic. But I'm not sure what you mean by the above.

My view is the traditional broadcast network is not going anywhere for a while, primarily due to high bandwidth costs / limitations and inherent issues of delivering long-form content online (from both the studio delivery and consumer experience standpoint). So I'm not sure what the roadmap to resolving this "soon" (if you mean say the next 2 years or so) could really be.

[ QUOTE ]
So my question is, what's the next big trend?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
To me, I think the clear immediate change will be to see how user-generated content impacts the networks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You kind of answered your own question I can't think of something bigger [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] UGC / DIY content has proven to be popular mainstream short-form content. As far as TV content and movies go, longer-form content is still their domain and UGC is not a threat. I think longer-form, slickly produced UGC that the mainstream would embrace is not viable for the near future - but if it were to be this is a major paradigm shift.

In general though, the slow, inexorable march to 100% internet-delivery of content will, I believe, slowly fragment the market to the point where no real larger trend is particularly transparent. I think over many years, what we'll see is a re-definition of what constitutes a mega-hit (from the movie and network tv studios perspective).

-Al
Old 08-03-2007, 03:36 PM

I think we will see more intentionally short run programs --- almost like mini-series. The idea of "seasons" of programming where re-runs are played in the off time will go away completely (this is already happening to some degree.) DVD-type "extras" will be available on live TV. There will be an influx of "choose your own adventure"-type programming.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The combination of network programming and internet is still a little awkward in my view, but someone is going to figure it out soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Nolan, cool thread topic. But I'm not sure what you mean by the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I mostly was referencing is the fact that I think the networks had a hard time at first figuring out what to do with their content on the web. NBC's initial reaction to YouTube is a good example.

I think at this point, users have a specific expectation when they visit those sites. ABC I think has done a good job of this (not kissing ass Al, promise [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), making their full programs available for viewing. That changes expectations. I hate going to NBC's web site now after the Office airs, and finding out I can't rewatch the episode (for example).

I realize some of the challenges in mindset it takes to start to free up that content. And I don't know if anyone has really branded the end-to-end user experience yet, but it's coming.

Regarding user generated, I think while we won't see long format stuff necessarily soon, it's probably a matter of time before some network has a hit show that basically replays popular YouTube clips or something. I guess VH1 has attempted to do that somewhat.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:46 PM

I think TV will merge with computer/Internet much more seamlessly. TV will become much more interactive as you will be able to look up additional information as you watch TV, sports will obviously benefit most from this.

You will also be able to access all of your data from any location. So if on vacation or at friend's house, you would be able to access your shows, movies, music, etc. from your hard drive.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think TV will merge with computer/Internet much more seamlessly. TV will become much more interactive as you will be able to look up additional information as you watch TV, sports will obviously benefit most from this.

You will also be able to access all of your data from any location. So if on vacation or at friend's house, you would be able to access your shows, movies, music, etc. from your hard drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going with this idea, I think that TV will become interactive from an advertising standpoint (e.g. you like a product you see, then click a button and purchase it online, etc.). I see this happening within programming in addition to commercials - this will become important as advertisers are increasingly dissatisfied with the current television advertising model.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a Sunday in the fall in the not so distant future I will be able to decide which of the 20 plus camera angles I like most when watching my favorite football game. I will have my mini version of the control room truck out in the parking lot of the game. My wife will seek a divorce.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hope is that they will give you the ability to pull up a wide variety of in game stats by using your remote control.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:45 PM

Anyone think there's a chance that most channels will become subscription and we won't have to deal with commercials anymore? I hate getting a bunch of channels that I'll never watch just because they come bundled with channels I do want.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:03 PM

I don't know about "big trends" but as far as TV shows I think we have or soon will see the end of the traditional sitcom that "restarts" every new episode. I think virtually all shows will have at some level continuing plotlines that slowly evolve.

I also think that very soon the ancient trend of "2-3 new episodes, 1-2 reruns" will be a thing of the past, I think after recent disasters like Lost S3 most shows especially heavily episodic/narrative shows will have their seasons run consequetively with no reruns or breaks.