Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 10:42 PM

Default 5.5 - grr people minraising for a big % of their stack

note stacks for both hands. i think #2 is easy but i posted it cause it happened twice in 3 hands

first guy is a is playing a 14/6 over a small sample, and has already minraised similarly once

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG+1 (t3502)
MP1 (t905)
MP2 (t2855)
CO (t1200)
Button (t9990)
SB (t9213)
Hero (t3170)
UTG (t1735)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t400</font>,4 folds, Hero...

---

then i sucked out AQ &gt; QQ to double up, then right after, this hand came up...

----

this player is new to the table, unknown

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t3302)
UTG (t3035)
UTG+1 (t2855)
MP1 (t1200)
MP2 (t5815)
MP3 (t9113)
CO (t2122)
Hero (t8750)
SB (t1535)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t600</font>, folds to Hero...
Old 08-03-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: 5.5 - grr people minraising for a big % of their stack

I think these are both pretty easy folds. I really dont think any but the worst of players will min raise expecting to fold, so any raise at all indicates they are playing for their stack and like their hand from their position.

Sure as a multi-level type of thing you could exploit this and minraise once per orbit with nothing when you are the short stack, but its pretty thin i think... your goign to have to call any shoves due to pot odds, and shoving gives you some modicum of additional fold equity, so anythign i might want to try this with, i would be more inclined to open push..

As someone very wise on this forum once said, " Sometimes people play their hands as if they have turned them face up... Theres no reason to ignore that information "... a minraise for half the stack is that type of play, you are behind. Put them to the felt with hands and stack sizes that play well against a tight range, if the blind overlay is big and your last to act and busting players matters, then go ahead and take a 66 or AJ against them... If busting a player doesnt matter at all towards your equity no worries, easy folds
Old 08-05-2007, 05:48 AM

hand one i put the short stack in all day with AJ.

hand 2 is different because there's two people left to act and while SB doesnt really matter too much, bb's stack is a sizable dent. i dont mind a fold here but i shove over it a good amount also.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:25 AM

On the 1st hand I see what you're saying re the min raise with a small stack seeming to be looking for action.
However the pot odds are just too good (705/(300+905+705))= 37% (better if there's antes) to pass up, and you just can't give him a tight range as he's so short stacked, so call.

On the 2nd hand you need 42% equity to make this +eV.
Again while the min raise is odd, he is short stacked so his range is wide enough for you to get involved.
However there are 2 to act behind you - any reads on these?

In the absence of any, I think going all in is best here. The 3 bet should help narrow the calling ranges of the 2 left to act and make some better hands fold, and there's enough dead money in the pot relative to your stack to make it worthwhile.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:39 AM

both hands yell "i have a big pair and want action"

so i think hand 2 is an easy fold, nothing invested, you are the big stack and can comfortable press them out, so no need to search for any less profitable action.

in hand 1 as BB you get very good pot odds if you shove 1:1,7 (if you take all of villains remaining chips as he will bring them in after the flop). you got an ace, which is good too. but you simply don't get the odds against JJ+,AK,AQ as this is the range i would put villain on, even if you give him a 10% bluffing possibility. so i would say this is a fold too.