Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 04:13 AM

Default NLTRN $5.25 First hand, facing large river bet...

Full Tilt Poker Game #3129169024: $5 + $0.25 Heads Up Sit & Go (23912689), Table 1 - 10/20 - No Limit Hold'em - 1:59:52 ET - 2007/08/02
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to waxhax0rs [9d 9c]
beerbuzz22 calls 10
waxhax0rs raises to 80
beerbuzz22 calls 60
*** FLOP *** [Ks 4d 2h]
waxhax0rs bets 100
beerbuzz22 calls 100
*** TURN *** [Ks 4d 2h] [7h]
waxhax0rs checks
beerbuzz22 checks
*** RIVER *** [Ks 4d 2h 7h] [7s]
waxhax0rs checks
beerbuzz22 bets 360
Old 08-03-2007, 06:52 AM

Default Re: NLTRN $5.25 First hand, facing large river bet...

why you don't bet in turn?
He/she bet river, is normal movement for bluff or with Kx, TT+ with slowplay.

I really don't know what to do in this hand's, maybe don't make the pot too big with medium pairs, raising 2,5/3xBB in preflop and 1/2 of pot in flop, you are not playing speculation hand and you need to win the pot in one movement, if you make a big pot (19BB), is really hard to throw the villian.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:27 PM

i call? - all of the hands that call the flop and are now beating us should have bet the turn (except maybe 22 or 44 i suppose). the other hands that would check-behind on the turn that are ahead of us are 72 and 74 but i doubt those hands even limp before the flop. i think a king bets the turn when we check. i think this is either a bluff or villain turning a bad pair into a bluff after we induced it.

bbbushu
Old 08-03-2007, 03:45 PM

I think this is fine. You don't want to overplay your hand at this level and villain has a super wide range. Give the free river card and induce the big bluff bet (which this is most times I feel) and get your check call river value.

I'm not saying this is always the correct line, but against a lot of 5 dollar players I think you played it very similar to how I would have. Snap call river and expect to win a lot of chips very often.

A few things to look out for, villain flat calls with top pair (and basically plays the hand out like this) or villain never bluffs missed draws/villain never floats. Those things will factor into changing your line but probably to a blocking river bet or check/fold depending on the degree of villain's tendencies.

There's no need to value bet the turn a lot here because of the high frequency at which most people bluff the river and give nothing respect. If villain is floating multiple streets (horrid calling station) then you can value bet every street, otherwise I like your line the best here and I think you get the most value out of his wide range of hands.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A few things to look out for, villain flat calls with top pair (and basically plays the hand out like this) or villain never bluffs missed draws/villain never floats. Those things will factor into changing your line but probably to a blocking river bet or check/fold depending on the degree of villain's tendencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is exactly right. I noticed as I moved up through the 30s/50s that some players would adjust to my lightish riv calls and would rep the river bluff by doing this with top or second pair, especially when it looked like a draw had missed. I don't remember this being a problem in the 5s/10s, though. I felt like bluffs were more transparent at those levels.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:58 PM

I thought for a bit and folded and he showed Q9. I think this was an EZ call (maybe being results oriented). Since this hand, this scenario has happened a few times (I have 2nd pair or something, bet flop, check turn and induce pot-size bluff on river) and I snap-called and it's been a bluff every time. And yes I did check turn and river to induce a bluff, but once I induced it I wasn't so sure it was a bluff, oops.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:13 PM

Easy call as theres no reason to be afraid of the paired 7's since they were the turn and river. The bet looks like a bluff. What could he have which beats you?