Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Staying attentive and not losing interest at the table.

I’m relatively new to playing poker. This weekend I’m going to be playing my first ‘real’ poker tournament. Currently, my biggest concern is that I am going to have trouble staying focused and still for the entire tournament. The person teaching me to play is incredible, but he isn't nearly as active/fidgety as I am. Can anyone with a bit more experience offer me some suggestions?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Staying attentive and not losing interest at the table.

Music in the background always helps me stay focuses, sort of get in a zone. I cannot even hear my wife talking to me while playing.

Well now that I think about she says I cant hear her even when I am not playing but that is another topic. lol

Seriousely, you need to stay focused and pay attention especially when you are not in the hand. This is how you get reads on your opponents. I knos you are moved from table to table but I cannot count the times I make notes on a player, get moved, and end up at the final table and make a good call or raise based on my notes from earlier. Do whatever it takes for you to keep your head in the game or play a shorter tourney where attention span matters less.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:47 PM

Suggestions on types of music that help you focus instead of being distracting?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:55 PM

I am from the south and I like country music but I listen to jazz a lot too. Something about the beat that gets me in a zone. Lots of people I play with listen to R&B or rap because of the beat. It really depends on what you like.

I listen to what I normally listen to. Not blasting, just background noise.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:32 PM

Music helps some listening to some of their fav bands or classical music.

Some dont listen to music due to it distracts them from the action.l.its up t you
Old 08-02-2007, 02:27 PM

Whether or not you are in a hand, make a mental note of what the actions is like. Who is playing tight and who is playing every hand? Note who is raising with draws and who is playing them passively. Note who is overvaluing top pair type hands and who seems physically unable to fold.

How are individual people acting when they have a big hand versus when they have a small hand? Try to put people on a range of hands and compare that to what they actually have if there is a showdown.

I realize you're new to the game and some of this may be foreign to you but they're the kind of things you should be thinking about in a live game.

Also, don't be afraid to socialize a little bit if that's your personality. It will keep you engaged and it helps to profile people if you know a bit about them.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:37 PM

I understand the concepts of watching and noting the action, but I don't know if or how I can keep it up throughout the tournament.

I'm very social, but have also been warned that tons of players give away information when talking at the table (I'm not sure in this particular tournament if any of the players would pick up on it even if I did, but...)

ty! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2007, 03:30 PM

Pay attention to every single action which every opponent at your table makes. If it's live, look for physical or other tells. If it's online, focus on his betting patterns & how well (or if) he adjusts based on position and his opponent. If you need a little more to keep you going, try to put each opponent on a specific hand based on the information you glean, whether you've folded or not.

There is always something to do at the poker table.