Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2007, 04:31 AM

Default what is your average per hour ?

im high and was just wondering what is everyones average per hour in these live games that are so slow and easy ?
Old 08-11-2007, 05:19 AM

Default Re: what is your average per hour ?

take the BB for nl and multiply it by 10, thats if your good

Take the limit BB and multiply it by 5, thats also if ur good
Old 08-11-2007, 06:01 AM

$72 in Vegas at 2-5nl(albeit a limited number of hours)
$45 at muck 3-5 SL
Old 08-11-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
take the BB for nl and multiply it by 10, thats if your good

Take the limit BB and multiply it by 5, thats also if ur good

[/ QUOTE ]

ha ha ha ha. If your a god! Mortals dont make this much in the long run.

Moving this thread to the beginners forum because the topic of winrates is not really B&M specific even though the OP is asking about live play, I think he will get better answers to the thread from the posters there.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: what is a good estimated win-rate at any limit?

Ok, I'll try posting here with a request for more detailed info so as not to jam the forum with duplicate threads. Please forgive me if this appears to hijack the OP's thread, but I'm hoping it ok, because it's still on topic.

I'm very new to poker, and online poker specifically. I've only been playing for a few months, and very infrequently. I'm determined to improve my skills, and I've done some study of Sklansky's smal-stakes hold 'em book, Doyle's Super System, and Helmuth's book too. Right now, I've improved quite a bit, but I know for a fact that my two biggest faults are going too far with big hands that become 'second-best' to someone else's monster (basically in disbelief that, after folding crap cards for 30 minutes, the big winners I get a hold of get can't possibly be getting bet and re-raised against by something bigger...), and an impatience to see a positive gain to my stack after hours of play.

Now, I know that I can improve my post flop play with practice and experience and learning better player-reading skills, but my impatience, I'm discovering, needs a different solution. To put the reins on my lack of patience, and my urges to play and win more hands, I need concrete information about what, exactly, is considered a good average win-rate, regardless of the limits I play at.

At the moment I get involved in the micro full-ring limit-hold 'em games at Poker Stars. In the .02/.04 games I can often win about dollar after 1 hour of play. This usually involves watching my money trickle away until I draw someone into a big hand they can't beat. .05/.10 and .10/.25 I get mixed results at still, and I get beat around a bit if I try anything higher. It's because I'm not content with winning one big hand in an hour. I feel like maybe I'm not playing aggressively enough. Of course, then my money leaves me even quicker.

So,what I need is a solid understanding of what I should EXPECT to win on average in an hour as a mediocre player, good player, and very skilled player. I figure some of the adjustments I need to make to my game revolve around false expectations. If I know more accurately what to expect during a session, I hope to restrain my impatience and play less recklessly.

I intend more serious study and much more practice, and this is one question I haven't been able to find an answer to in the reading I've done so far. I'm really not content to be a carreer penny-player. I've got much grander goals! Any help here would be appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2007, 02:07 PM

5/bb an hour is not quite realistic at live limit games, given the rake and the slow speed of play, but I haven't played enough live to really get a hold of my own $/hr.

If maximizing your $/hr is your main goal, I think online is the way to go
Old 08-11-2007, 02:14 PM

At micro stakes like 2-4 cent limit, a good player can win 30 cents per 100 hands. 100 hands takes about 2 hours at a micro full game, so 15 cents an hour would be an excellent winrate.

at 5-10 cent, 50 cents per 100 hands would again be very good, 25 cents an hour. Note that many live 2-4 and 3-6 games play similarly to 5-10 cent online, making this the prime place to get practice for live game conditions.

In either game, if you win 10 cents an hour, you are well on your way, and could likely play at least break-even poker at live 3-6.

If boredom/patience is your problem, try playing two tables at once. For many, this makes it easier to be patient, as the good hands come twice as often.

Note winrates are VERY wild- you can play 10000 hands and win double a good winner's rate, or zero. It's nearly impossible for a beginner to determine if his winnings are "normal" or not. If you really do win $1 in an hour at 2-4 cent regularly, you are extremely lucky.
-Curtis
Old 08-11-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'll try posting here with a request for more detailed info so as not to jam the forum with duplicate threads. Please forgive me if this appears to hijack the OP's thread, but I'm hoping it ok, because it's still on topic.

I'm very new to poker, and online poker specifically. I've only been playing for a few months, and very infrequently. I'm determined to improve my skills, and I've done some study of Sklansky's smal-stakes hold 'em book, Doyle's Super System, and Helmuth's book too. Right now, I've improved quite a bit, but I know for a fact that my two biggest faults are going too far with big hands that become 'second-best' to someone else's monster (basically in disbelief that, after folding crap cards for 30 minutes, the big winners I get a hold of get can't possibly be getting bet and re-raised against by something bigger...), and an impatience to see a positive gain to my stack after hours of play.

Now, I know that I can improve my post flop play with practice and experience and learning better player-reading skills, but my impatience, I'm discovering, needs a different solution. To put the reins on my lack of patience, and my urges to play and win more hands, I need concrete information about what, exactly, is considered a good average win-rate, regardless of the limits I play at.

At the moment I get involved in the micro full-ring limit-hold 'em games at Poker Stars. In the .02/.04 games I can often win about dollar after 1 hour of play. This usually involves watching my money trickle away until I draw someone into a big hand they can't beat. .05/.10 and .10/.25 I get mixed results at still, and I get beat around a bit if I try anything higher. It's because I'm not content with winning one big hand in an hour. I feel like maybe I'm not playing aggressively enough. Of course, then my money leaves me even quicker.

So,what I need is a solid understanding of what I should EXPECT to win on average in an hour as a mediocre player, good player, and very skilled player. I figure some of the adjustments I need to make to my game revolve around false expectations. If I know more accurately what to expect during a session, I hope to restrain my impatience and play less recklessly.

I intend more serious study and much more practice, and this is one question I haven't been able to find an answer to in the reading I've done so far. I'm really not content to be a carreer penny-player. I've got much grander goals! Any help here would be appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If your wanting to play more hands/more big pots an hour or just play more aggressively as you said definitely play 6 max tables. This is what i play on FullTilt and usually 2 tables sometimes 4. I like to 2 table .05/.10 on 6 max because you will get some pretty good action since its not a full ring game so you can play more aggressively(obviously) Try it out, GL. You can definitely make 5$+ fairly easily compared to your $1/hour and if your actually pretty decent it should be more than 5$. You will definitely have to play good and be patient to have that kind of success though.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:04 PM

Truely, I don't bore so easy when I'm studying players and hands during my many folds. The trouble for me occurs when that little evil voice in my head has finally convinced me that my tight starting-hand requirements and post-flop requirements are TOO stringent, that I'm not winning enough, and then I loosen up for a few hands just to watch myself self-destruct. At which point I pinch myself, squish the evil voices down into a dark corner, and try to regroup.

Hey thank you for the numbers and the advice guys. my estimate of 1$/hr might be off, seeing as I haven't done any record keeping as of yet. But I know I'm way over .15/hr in the .05//10 games, maybe even the .02/.04 games. honestly, I've felt I'm a poor player with some lucky hits, and that .50-1$/hr was a crummy winrate. So to hear that maybe I'm more successful than I believed is great news. It's the piece of information I've been looking for. Now I know that when I feel I'm stuck in a stall-out or down-swing, really it's probably just the natural lull every good player sits through waiting for the cards to fall right. Of course, it also means that some of the major losses I've hit could be attributed to TILTing after I imagine my luck and/or decisions have been piss-poor for too long. LOL.

SO... taken at extreme, we have .50$ an hour in .05/.10 limit full ring games, which equates to 5 Big Bets won per hour, might be considered great earnings. I'll assume a conservative expectation of 2 or 3 Big Bets won per hour, regardless of the limit I play at in the future, as an acceptable winrate for myself. With luck, I can curb my enthusiasm and play smart for longer periods, and also learn to believe the villains (sometimes)when they insist they've got my monster hands beat with bigger monsters.

thanks again! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]