Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 08:47 PM

Default RIO concept?

Villian unknown

0.25/0.50 Fixed-Limit Hold'em <font color="blue">(8 handed)</font>
Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is BU with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.3.
UTG+2 calls, <font color="grey">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO checks, Hero calls, <font color="grey">SB folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.4 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, <font color="grey">BB folds</font>, <font color="red">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="grey">3 folds</font>.

Final Pot: 4.2 BB

Im not sure fold is good here.
But probably RIO concept is correct here, right?
Old 08-02-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Re: RIO concept?

I'm not entirely certain but I believe reverse implied odds only come to play when you are ahead and can be easily outdrawn. The situation here is that you are behind and not likely to catch up. You can pick a better spot to pay for information vs this guy so good fold.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 PM

It's my understanding that the pot odds adjusted for future bets you could win is implied odds.
"Your odds are X:1, but if you hit your hand, your odds are better than they appear."

The less discussed reverse implied odds are the opposite, usually because of weak hands that can be punished by future betting rounds.
"Your odds are X:1, but in such and such situation, your odds are worse than they appear."

When it gets back to you you're getting 8.4:1 odds heads up. But will likely face 2 big bets in the future with a hand that may be outkicks or drawing dead. So yes, those odds are worse than they appear.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:48 PM

grunch

A good player plays a check-n-see like this, and I don't think a poor player plays a monster with a c/r. So it's either a good player with a mediocre hand or a poor playre with who knows what. I'm thinking 3-b here.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:51 PM

Guys, RIO is simple -- small pot, currently winning but easily drawn-out hand. e.g. 98s on a 964 flop with a 4sb pot. To me, this hand does not qualify.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:51 AM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, RIO is simple -- small pot, currently winning but easily drawn-out hand. e.g. 98s on a 964 flop with a 4sb pot. To me, this hand does not qualify.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-03-2007, 02:08 AM

98s on a 964 flop with a 4sb pot

This isn't a very good example of RIO.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:25 AM

Say there are 5 people to the flop and you hold J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB.

Flop (5 SB): J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The SB leads out and it is on you. Your pair of jacks might be the best hand but it will have to fade a ton of collective wins in order to drag it at showdown. If someone has a better jack, you are close to drawing dead and probably need to hit runners to win the pot. An 8 does give you a straight, but it gives anyone with a Q a better straight. You might have the flop bettor beat but he always has a ton of outs when you do. You have next to no outs when you don't have him beat and you still have 3 people left to act that can have you beat/end up drawing out on you.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:48 AM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

[ QUOTE ]
Say there are 5 people to the flop and you hold J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB.

Flop (5 SB): J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

The SB leads out and it is on you. Your pair of jacks might be the best hand but it will have to fade a ton of collective wins in order to drag it at showdown. If someone has a better jack, you are close to drawing dead and probably need to hit runners to win the pot. An 8 does give you a straight, but it gives anyone with a Q a better straight. You might have the flop bettor beat but he always has a ton of outs when you do. You have next to no outs when you don't have him beat and you still have 3 people left to act that can have you beat/end up drawing out on you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh that's what it's called. I call it "I'm [censored] no matter what."

edit: except for a jack ... cmon jack ... [censored]
Old 08-03-2007, 02:56 AM

shill wins