Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Live Poker - Ra Ra Ra

Alright, I know we all suck, so please - give it to me.

Live 2/5NL in NYC 10 handed. I have been at the table for about 15 minutes, no hands past the flop and have not won a pot. Minimal experience with anyone at the table, although I have played once with villan and he seemed like what I guess you could call mediocre tagish player for this level. I don't think he would have any reads on me. He has 600, I cover.

I raise UTG+1 with 1010 to 20 and he repops directly to my left to 70. All else fold and I call. Flop is 6h7h8 and goes check, check. Turn is an offsuit 2 - I bet 150 and he raises all in for 380 on top. Is this the worst call in the history of the world? Thx for the advice.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Live Poker - Ra Ra Ra

Fold preflop
Old 08-01-2007, 08:53 AM

post this hand in the live forum
Old 08-01-2007, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
post this hand in the live forum

[/ QUOTE ]
There's no live strategy forum. OP is posting in the right place.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 AM

I would def fold to the AI.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:18 AM

I realize this hand probably isn't that interesting. I hope to contribute more to the forum in the future/as I get better. Just looking for some advice on a had I clearly misplayed.

Is this a fold preflop against a relatively unknown opponent?

I was confused by his flop check on such a drawy board. He had AA and said he put me squarely in an overpair, and not worried about the draws checked to trap. What do people think of his check on the flop?

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was confused by his flop check on such a drawy board. He had AA and said he put me squarely in an overpair, and not worried about the draws checked to trap. What do people think of his check on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

How he played it is irrelevant. You should focus on how you played it.

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a fold preflop against a relatively unknown opponent?

[/ QUOTE ]
If an unknown 3bets you preflop you have to be very concious of the fact that his range often narrows down to AK/QQ+. Some opponents even play tight enough that they'll only do it with KK+.

So ask yourself why you're calling. Against a normal opponent your hand is in bad shape against his 3betting range, so you should fold.

You could call to hit a set, but then you need better implied odds. Villain repopped you for 50, there's 100ish in the pot and he has 530 behind. According to the 5-10 rule you can always call for implied odds if the raise is less than 5% of effective stacks, and you will always fold if the raise is bigger than 10% of effective stacks. Anything in between is borderline, and depends on other factors. In your case the raise is pretty close to 10% of effective stacks, so calling is very marginal (you need to stack him virtually every time you hit on the flop, and he can't draw out).

As played, you need to fold to the push. The only possible hand that you beat right now is 99 or A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (both of which would probably have bet the flop) and given that you have no read on villain you have to assume he has an overpair and was slowplaying the flop.