Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 07:45 AM

Default NL25: 77 face scary board, line check please

I have not played with villan much. And there wasn't anything notable about villan's plays.

I would appreciate your feedback on how I played this hand. TIA!

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $23.05
BB: $36.85
Hero (UTG): $32.50
MP: $18.65
CO: $33.00
BTN: $14.70

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1.00</font>, MP folds, CO calls $1.00, BTN calls $1.00, 2 folds

<font color="blue">Since there were only six of us at the time, I thought I would play a little more aggressive. I was a little worried when I had two callers. </font>

Flop: ($3.35) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $3.35</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $3.35

<font color="blue">Yea, trips. But I did not like the board with the straight or straight draw. So I bet the pot to see where I stand, and hopefully drive someone or all of them out. </font>

Turn: ($10.05) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $5.00</font>, BTN calls $5.00

<font color="blue">I was not happy to see BTN called. She maybe slow playing her straight or was still on a draw. So I made a blocking/probing bet of 1/2 pot. </font>

River: ($20.05) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks

<font color="blue">It went from bad to worst. Someone probably has a straight and it's not me. I may still be good. At the time I didn't notice villan's stack size. But I was thinking I would make a crying call if the bet wasn't too big. </font>
Old 07-31-2007, 07:56 AM

Default Re: NL25: 77 face scary board, line check please

From your comments it seems like you are playing scared, fearing possible straights when you have a set. You refered to your turn bet as a blocking/probing bet. WTF? It's a straight value bet, and you should be hoping to get all-in at some point.

Just bet/bet/bet until they call it all off because you have the best hand the vast majority of the time.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:06 AM

Sheesh, I do sound like a wimp don't I. Well, with two villans I thought one of them would have 89, or at least a straight draw.

Like you said, bet until they tell me otherwise. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 AM

I'd bet pot on turn, and call a push with no regrets.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:11 AM

Sheesh, again! I think I am finding out why I don't win more.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:39 AM

Pay attention to stack sizes. Button only has $15 to start the hand. Knowing that, turn should be an easy push.

As played, he only has 5 on the river. You aren't finding a fold here.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $1.00</font>, MP folds, CO calls $1.00, BTN calls $1.00, 2 folds

<font color="blue">Since there were only six of us at the time, I thought I would play a little more aggressive. I was a little worried when I had two callers. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Limping is fne, but 6-handed, raising is the aggressive 9and my standard) play. Y ou should not be worried getting 2 callers - the more the better with a low/mid pair. Sure, you are less likely to take it down with a CB, but it is now more likely that you will get action when you hit a set - your main aim with 77.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: ($3.35) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)

<font color="blue">Yea, trips. But I did not like the board with the straight or straight draw. So I bet the pot to see where I stand, and hopefully drive someone or all of them out. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
I love the pot sized bet here, but it's for value and to price a srt8 draw - not to get folds. You want calls here to maximise your very big hand.

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">I was not happy to see BTN called. She maybe slow playing her straight or was still on a draw. So I made a blocking/probing bet of 1/2 pot. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
You should be betting the maximum that Villain will call, not blocking. You are winning here nearly always. All in would be very reasonable here, as he only has $10 left and the pot is already that size.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:33 PM

Thanks Mack! So the general take away here is I was wa and I should have been betting for more value. I just checked the odds of flopping a straight and it is 76:1. I really should try to remember these odds. Thanks for the input all. It was very informative.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Mack! So the general take away here is I was wa and I should have been betting for more value. I just checked the odds of flopping a straight and it is 76:1. I really should try to remember these odds. Thanks for the input all. It was very informative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain flat called your flop bet. That makes a flopped straight even less likely. Also, even if he did, you have 7 outs on the turn and ten on the river to improve to hand that beats a str8.

At the lower levels, aim to get as much money in s possible, as early as possible when you flop a set. The board would have to be super scary before I slow down - and only then on the turn (when you can be facing a 4 flush or 4 str8).

I think El Diablo once wrote that any hand that can beat AA on the flop is a monster. Play them as such at least until an opponent tells you otherwise.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have not played with villan much. And there wasn't anything notable about villan's plays.

I would appreciate your feedback on how I played this hand. TIA!

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $23.05
BB: $36.85
Hero (UTG): $32.50
MP: $18.65
CO: $33.00
BTN: $14.70

[/ QUOTE ]
At this point, you should be planning on how you are going to get all of the money in, not worrying about 89. If someone has 89, all of the money is going in on the flop and you either hit your redraws or go broke.

The pot is $3.35. The cutoff has the stack you want at $35. If you pot it here and get 2 callers, the pot will be $14 and it will be pretty easy to get all of the money in. If you pot it (and that is the only bet you should be considering here) and get one call, the pot will bet $10 and the villain will have about $30 behind. This is pretty good for you. That means a pot sized bet on the turn and river gets all the money in without you having to overbet the pot or get another raise in.

Notice that if you didn't raise preflop, you'd have a lot more work to do and you would have had to get a raise in someplace to get all the money in.

So, your plan is to bet the pot now and bet the pot again on the turn.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Now, the BTN only has $10 behind. Just move in for the pot sized bet. It's too bad we didn't hook the bigger stack, but that's poker.
[ QUOTE ]

River: ($20.05) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks

<font color="blue">It went from bad to worst. Someone probably has a straight and it's not me. I may still be good. At the time I didn't notice villan's stack size. But I was thinking I would make a crying call if the bet wasn't too big. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you call the $5 bet here. He likely didn't call your other bet on a bare gutshot. It's possible he has a hand like T9, but that isn't very likely. There is no way you aren't paying him off if he happens to have an 8.