Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 02:52 PM

Default $20 Home Game...Stop-And-Go

(I am primarily a cash game player; I never play donkaments except in home games, so if you see any mistakes at any point in the hand, let me know.)

$20 home game last night...12 players (six at each table), and 9-10 are terrible newbs who barely know how to play. It's a top-heavy payout of $160/$60/$20, so I'm obviously playing for first. The blind structure is just as bad as the payout; 1000 chips to start, and at this point, it's pretty clear that it will become a pushfest once we get down to 7-8 players (when we actually hit 8, the blinds were 100/200, meaning the average stack had an M of 5). Our table is 6-handed, and the other table now has 5. The blinds have just gone up to 25/50, and I have about 1060.

UTG is down to 420, and she limps in. She's been pretty horrible, limping and folding when she misses. I don't think she's won a pot, so she hasn't shown down any hands. UTG+1 folds, and I raise to 175 with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Everyone folds back to UTG, and she lets out a big sigh. She seems genuinely torn, and she is not savvy enough to act with a big hand. I want her to push because I'm 100% sure I have her crushed. However, because she has no idea what she's doing, she just calls after thinking it over for about 30 seconds. The pot is now 425, and she has 245 left.

The flop comes A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. She thinks about it for less than a second before going all in. She obviously knows nothing about a stop-and-go, but her stupidity has just helped her. There is 670 in the pot, it costs me 245 to call, and a call would leave me with about 640. The blinds will go up to 50/100 in about 15 minutes, and based on the pace of the table, that's probably no more than 8 hands from now.

5-x is possible, though I think she'd check with it. If she has an ace, I can hit a ten or runner-runner diamond (there is no way her kicker is higher than a ten). If she has something like Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], it's a coinflip. Keeping in mind the tournament structure, the payout structure, and that she insta-pushed when the flop came out, is this a call or a fold?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:52 PM

Default Re: $20 Home Game...Stop-And-Go

Bump
Old 07-30-2007, 12:00 AM

Those are 245 chips you really want to keep at this point.

This is a trivially fold easy right? If she out smarted you she out-smarted you.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a trivially fold easy right? If she out smarted you she out-smarted you.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does seem like a very easy fold...if she has an ace, I'm like 12%. I'm just wondering if, because of the structure, I should be making this call to try and build a decent stack.

It probably is a really easy fold, though...I did fold, but I really thought about calling simply because of the payout and the blind structure. I folded, and the blinds just got completely out of sight, so I was just pushing or folding for the rest of the tournament.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does seem like a very easy fold...if she has an ace, I'm like 12%. I'm just wondering if, because of the structure, I should be making this call to try and build a decent stack.

It probably is a really easy fold, though...I did fold, but I really thought about calling simply because of the payout and the blind structure. I folded, and the blinds just got completely out of sight, so I was just pushing or folding for the rest of the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with pushing and folding. Having the big stack would help you considerably more if 3rd payed 20% and second paid %30. Even in that situation you are not (ever?) going to make a bad call soley because winning the pot will give you the chip lead.

Read some articles on ICM to get a better understanding of this stuff.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:50 AM

Easy fold. She has an ace every time.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:57 AM

That whole act thing is a joke. There's no way your tens are good.