Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Vista-CONFUSION

Ok so i had a XP OS for last 2yrs and have grown really used to it.I just set up my new system with VISTA and it seems like a mindfield of technical unusefull jargon.

Questions for VISTA users:

1:I play Party+Full Tilt and run FPHG/PAHUD/PT...supported?

2:Any known issues or concerns?

3:Hates and dislikes?

If i dont reply straight away it will be the VISTA thing im still trying to get the system how i want it and set up all my poker stuff

PartyScout [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Vista-CONFUSION

I have no problems with PT and Stars but PAHUD isn't ready for Vista yet and is pretty flakey on my system. I wouldn't upgrade an existing system to Vista and if you are getting a new machine for poker I'd stay with XP for a while. Everything just works on XP, not so much Vista.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:56 PM

My laptop is XP

My new Desktop Dell is VISTA

Im just in process of loading all poker clients/software/favrites ect ect
So far for whatever reason Full Tilt will not connect to there server [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

So your saying that PAHUD will work but it's not to clever?Or it just dont work full stop?

EDIT:Full Tilt client now works woop(dont know why it didn't before)

Now to put all rest of my stuff on [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2007, 05:08 PM

Just remember to run everything as administrator as the first level of troubleshooting vista problems.

PAHUD doesn't run well if at all in flicker free mode, so it's got that going aginst it. It sometimes stops updating the stats, or doesn't refresh all of them. Sometimes it doesn't start displaying the stats at all. Just flakey. YMMV.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:33 PM

Meh....hopefully soon Josh will sort this out...although it always seems like he is the last to give patches/updates unless there critical!

Yeah good tip about running things as administrater just been reading the PT Index about Vista and Pat says there too run as an administrator.

I want to keep this thread going if you dont mind as im still new to vista and it could come in handy to ask you or others questions as concerns or queries arise!I think with everything i have going on it will take me another 1/2 days to fully sort my computer out and get it to how i want it [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2007, 08:47 PM

3:Hates and dislikes?

-Do not use the Vista defrag program...it is slowwwwwwww...use a third party program (I use PerfectDisk 8.0)...the next Vista service pack is supposed to have a quicker defrag though
-Turn off User Account Control - it is annoying
Old 07-14-2007, 09:59 PM

Yea, I ended up turning off disc defrag because it made my HD start clicking like it was banging the head against the stops. That was annoying. I end up turning off UAC but hope they find a better mid ground to keep the security benefits without the giant pain in the tukas.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:10 PM

Just had a mini-issue with Full Tilt HandHistorys.Not sure why but when i downloaded FT to Vista it did not create a HH file so the preset C:\ProgramFiles\FullTiltPoker\HandHistory setting on the poker client was not adding flies to anywhere i just renamend it C:\ProgramFiles\FullTiltPoker imports ok now.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:16 PM

I created a separate data directory under C: and had Stars put my hand histories there, easier to deal with than the permissions of the Programs directory. The new 1.17.9 beta of PAHUD seems to work better than the one I was running but it was a short session so we'll see. One of the current suggestions is to use the Windows Classic theme when running it, which while a pain isn't that big a pain.

Make sure to point PAHUD to the new directory if it is different than the default.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:00 PM

I got PAHUD working seems fine although not many hands played.

Got all programs and poker stuff working now just a case of moving my whole PT DB over to my desktop.Pretty easy then just copy all my pics and stuff then im done [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]