Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 07:27 PM

Default I\'ve been refused a visa- will they still let me into the US?

Ok so this is my story so far...
I finished university in the UK June 06 and have been playing online poker for a living for the last year, including 2 months in the US under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

Some friends and I decided that we'd like to travel the US for 6 months, starting sept 07, including many vegas pitstops. We all have plenty of money to do this thanks to poker. Of the 2 friends I am going with one has a greencard and the other just finished uni (june 07) and applied for and was granted a 6 month tourist visa.

I recently applied for the same visa but was refused under the provisions of 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Im sure the reason I was refused was because I claimed that I had been unemployed for the last year and had been funded by my parents. This was pretty much the only difference in our applications. Was it a mistake to say I was unemployed? I didn't really want to try and explain how you could make a living from online poker to an immigration officer.

Anyway the refusal letter explains, 'Unfortunately, because you either did not demonstrate strong ties outside the US, or were not aple to demonstrate that your intended activities in the US would be consistant with the visa status, you are ineligible for a nonimmigrant visa.'

Ok. So we decided we would have to cut the tour down to 3 months so that I could travel under the VWP. However I then read, 'While travelers who have been refused a visa under the provisions of Section 221(g) or 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act are not ineligible to travel visa under the Visa Waiver Program, they will be questioned by an immigration official at the U. S. port of entry regarding the refusal by the Embassy or Consulate.

The traveler should carry with him or her evidence of his or her intention to depart the United States at the end of the visit. This is generally satisfied by furnishing evidence of strong social and economic ties to the traveler's 's place of permanent residence. There is no set form that this should take as each person's circumstances differ.

If the immigration officer is not satisfied that the traveler meets the qualifications for nonimmigrant status, the traveler will be denied entry.'

Surely the not being able to'...furnish evidence of strong social and economic ties to the traveler's 's place of permanent residence' was the reason I was refused a visa. So how do I know if they will be acceptable under the terms of the VWP?

I am very worried that I will end up paying £700 for flights to vegas and then be denied entry to the US when I land.

Can anybody shed any light on this situation? Any help will be very much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Re: I\'ve been refused a visa- will they still let me into the US?

[ QUOTE ]
Surely the not being able to'...furnish evidence of strong social and economic ties to the traveler's 's place of permanent residence' was the reason I was refused a visa. So how do I know if they will be acceptable under the terms of the VWP?

[/ QUOTE ]

so obviously you need to provide evidence of strong social and economic ties to home.

some ideas:
-pictures of girlfriends etc.
-enrol to study somewhere, and get a record of this (of course, if you cancel this down the track, so be it)
-provide some documentation of property that you own/rent - are you going to be maintaining your home while you're away travelling?
-show that you're a member of clubs and/or community organisations
Old 07-17-2007, 07:47 PM

Come up with something. They won't hesitate to deny entry to first-world travelers if there was a problem with them in the past. This counts as a problem.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:03 AM

-Bank Statements
-Rental contracts
-Utility Bills
-Proof of employment upon return to UK
-A RETURN FLIGHT ticket
-Credit Card in your name
-Other proofs that you can support yourself completely for the entire time you
are within the USA

These will all help.
Additionaly, don't lie to the immo official when you get thr. In fact hit him with the good truths. Your a student who recently graduated and have been supporting yourself through self employed trading. Then befoe he can rape you, hit him with your big fat bank statement (hopefully showing $xx,xxx). Tell him your essentially going to travel the US with friends and then return home to the UK for a proper job (for which you hopefully can get some kind of letter from some kind of company showing you have been accepted for employment on XX date). This doesn't mean you HAVE to go work somewhere, it's all about demonstrating a clear intent to return to te UK.

Additionlly, be polite and truthful when asked questions. Don't gt angry, arasive or insulting. These dudes are fairly powerful WRT these on the spot decisions so demonstarte courtesy and honesty with them and you'll likely get it in return.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These dudes are fairly powerful WRT these on the spot decisions so demonstarte courtesy and honesty with them and you'll likely get it in return.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not underestimate this. Their decision is pretty final and they have a lot of leeway in what they can do. Be incredibly nice and present a good case and you should be fine.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:28 AM

btw, whatever you do, don't lie.

those blokes have hundreds of these conversations every day, and they're good at what they do (which is supposed to be keeping bad people out)
Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
those blokes

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I going to have to learn to start saying stuff like this when I get to Australia?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:47 AM

Are you taking the piss mate?

LOLZ welcome to England or Aussieland mate!

PS You are a Yank/Septic/Colonial/etc in The UK.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf language is that.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf language is that.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Your going to enjoy England and Australia [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

It took me some time to adapt to speaking English vice 'Merican when I moved there. Now my language is well and properly fooked up. I speak ThaiEnglrican. The only one who even has a clue wtf I'm talking about these days is my brother in law who grew up in London and now lives in The USA and even hes losing comprehension as I add Thai into almost every sentence these days [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]