Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Panicky while playing poker and other things

It doesn't matter what level, I could be playing a $1 sit n go on stars and I still get this nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach, even though $1 obviously doesn't matter much to me. But I'll register for it, and in the minute or so before it starts I will feel my heart start to beat faster and then my stomach will start to hurt. Then throiughout the touranment, my stomach continues to hurt and I can literally feel my heart beating through my chest. At my weekly home game, the other players can hear me breathing really loud and I swear I think they can hear my heart beating as well. Even if I'm not in a hand, like I fold preflop, it still doesn't go away. Anyone else have this or any ideas about what's going on? It's not only confined to poker. Like when I go over to my girlfriends house, who I know very well and am very cool with, the same thing will happen right until I'm in the house and have settled down. I've tried drinking while playing poker and this does help settle the nerves or whatever but I wonder if I might have some type of anxiety disorder. The same thing happens when I talk in front of a large group of people or I have to meet a bunch of new people at once, like when i'm introduced to a large circle of people.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Panicky while playing poker and other things

You definitely have an anxiety disorder and need to take steps to rectify it, whatever they may be (seeing a therapist, etc.). I can say this with such certainty because I have experienced the exact same thing and it is not pleasant. I would look at the situations which cause this reaction in you and attempt to identify what exactly about them makes you panic. You'll have to do some soul-searching, but the answers lie within yourself. I probably wouldn't play any more poker until I got some kind of handle on it. It's not worth THAT MUCH stress on your body (believe me I know exactly how it feels-- those heavy, rapid, thudding heart palpitations ain't no joke and are very bad for you. BP prolly goes up to 200+/130+ in those instances.) Find the answers. Best of luck.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:41 PM

thanks ill get it looked into. any other thoughts?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:01 PM

Yep that is an anxiety disorder. One word of caution, you can actually make the anxiety disorder worst by trying to limit your risks (move down in levels). For example, if someone was afraid of heights and wouldn't climb a 30 foot ladder .... they may try to climb a 5 foot ladder instead. Often this can re-enforce the fear and make the anxiety worst.

You should talk to a psychologist about it.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:35 PM

i love people with a anxiety disorder who play poker !!!

do you ever make a bluff in a 1$ sng or does this totaly freak you out?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:07 PM

Crazy you may find it funny, but it isn't for him. Anxiety disorders are serious and its important that he learns to control them.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i love people with a anxiety disorder who play poker !!!

do you ever make a bluff in a 1$ sng or does this totaly freak you out?

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't BBV Rtard. OP you need to do something about your panic attacks. For me the answer was exercise and a healthier diet. It may be that simple for you too, or you may need to talk to someone.

Edit to add: breathing exercises too. Just google it, eventually you'll hopefully be able to stop an attack before it really kicks in.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:39 PM

yeah i know i was just being the Ahole.

I don't know maybe you just have to think about those feelings, where do they come from???
then maybe you can tackle them with logic thinking?

well the social fact could indicate your just insecure something a lot of people have to deal with.

maybe this is the same thing for the pokergame, maybe you're/you think your just not good enough.
I bet if you would know you would win you wouldn't feel this way when registering and playing.

just set a amount of money aside wich you consider is "lost" and just don't give a [censored] if your gonna lose it.
play lot's of games and read some books to build up your confidence.
i don't know if your a winning player (can't imagine btw) but when you get better and start winning more your confidence will grow (doing things you master are easy)
Old 07-26-2007, 07:13 PM

Porto i don't think it has anything to do with me not winning. I know that I am one of the better players at the table and even when I'm kicking ass at the game I am still having these types of feelings.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 PM

ok and does this affect your gameplay like not wanting to lose a win and quitting early or playing tighter?