Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Hustler 50-100 last night, good game

Im on the button with 72 clubs. Action goes call, call, call, call, call, call, I call. SB calls, BB checks. Flop is 762 spades. Early position bets, 3 callers and I call. Turn is the 7h ( cha-ching). EP bets everyone else folds to me , I raise, he 3-bets, 1 4-bet, he 5-bets, now what?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Hustler 50-100 last night, good game

raise the FLOP. 3 callers and a bettor thats leaving 2 BB on the table.

call the 5 btw and hope a six hits the river for a split. unless this guy is a wacko or an asian guy wearing lots of gold chains, in which case you wouldn't even have to ask right?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:15 PM

interesting. never even thought of taking that line. waned to see what came off on the turn.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
interesting. never even thought of taking that line. waned to see what came off on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

holdem for advance players and ed millers small stakes book both explain how there are times when you might want to wait to see if you hit a favorable turn in order to bet or wait for the turn in order to better protect your hand.

1st, there are few very unfavorable turn cards, basically just the obv straight cards. 2nd, you aren't going to protect your hand either way in this huge pot. so those two reasons don't apply to this hand.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:42 PM

Not even thinking about raising this flop??

I don't understand what your question about the turn is either. He is holding either 76 or 66, but since he 5-bets it's probably 76. Just call down.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:43 PM

wait it was a monotone flop?

i like pf btw
Old 07-28-2007, 04:13 PM

Whats the deal with this game? Does it go every night? Just weekends? One table?

Anytime I get 5 bet on a big street without the nuts, I just call down unless the villain is a major retard. Whats your read on this the villian? Is he steamed up? Asian with a $5000+ watch on? Winning player?
Old 07-28-2007, 04:18 PM

I think hero is still more likely to be ahead, even after a 5-bet. The only hand beating you is 76, correct? I think it's more likely an early position player who bets a monitone flop has a set than top two pair. I think a 6 is exactly the card you don't want to see on the river as it may give him quads.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:44 PM

Agree with chillrob also how has nobody said he could have flopped the nut flush. I'm raising again on the turn. LOL at preflop nice game. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] this game so much with $10 chips.

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-28-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im on the button with 72 clubs. Action goes call, call, call, call, call, call, I call. SB calls, BB checks. Flop is 762 spades. Early position bets, 3 callers and I call. Turn is the 7h ( cha-ching). EP bets everyone else folds to me , I raise, he 3-bets, 1 4-bet, he 5-bets, now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I also would not raise this flop. None of those who called one bet would fold for one more. Betting out on the turn would have a better chance of knocking out the field. They'll have only one card coming and a big bet to call, with a smaller pot than it would be had you raised. In fact, if you raise the flop then gut shots, or just a small pair with overcard would have pot odds to call a big bet on the turn. You don't want that. Calling on the flop gives opponents only about 8 to 1 to call when you bet out on the turn. Four outers should fold and five outers are very marginal. Those would be easy calls after a raise on the flop.

As another poster pointed out, this is one of those situations where Millers advises declining a profitable bet on the flop in order to make a much more profitable bet on the turn. The flop raise is not bad. It is likely positive EV. Calling and betting a safe turn is just better.

Filling up on the turn, I would check as you did.