Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 10:39 AM

Default Idea

OK, multi-regulars, let's see if we can solve this newbie "problem" with a little bit of work:

I'm thinking that there are probably 10 or so "standard" situations which are so clear that they can be posted in an anthology for those new players who genuinely think that posting "How do I play AK with an M of 10 in the BB" or "I have QQ with an M of 9, does he have KK?" can have a little something something to refer to before starting a new post. They may still ask the same questions, but perhaps with a little more insight, like "I know that this thread says you can't do this with AK, but, what about THIS" instead of just "What do I do?" Give them a very basic level 1 knowledge base to work with, get them thinking on their own.

Now, I know one objection - every situation is different. However, I think that we can all agree on a few standard situations where there is always one right play (if only preflop).

What do you guys think?

Barry
Old 07-23-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Idea

I have no problem with people asking seemingly routine questions. There is no way to make a list of 'common' situations because every situation is uniquely different - not just the cards on the board but the opponents, our image, stack sizes, etc. that will probably stay unique to each hand forever (only one exactly alike)

My main beef with people is when they have a post that goes like:

"No reads"

RAW HH HERE

and then expect a brilliant answer or how you avoid getting sucked out on. Besides reading the FAQ, which I'm sure about 5% of new posters actually do (and maybe only about 30-40% of the "regulars"), everyhting else is fine. I enjoy making arguements for difrerent lines, no matter how simple, because it improves my thought process and reasoning as well as answers any questions about the hand.

If newer posters don't understand some of the basic situations, they won't get any of the intermediate level stuff. You got to start somewhere.

Go ahead and make a list if you want, but there is way too much hand-specific information needed and generalizing is very dangerous.