Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 10:26 AM

Default Question about \"Kill Pots\"

We had a situtation last night where the current hand was a double kill pot and the person to my right was eliminated...They would have been the big blind for the next hand and it was going to be a triple kill pot- My question is do I automattically become the big blind and thus pay the "triple kill pot big blind"?

Thanks for any help you can offer-
Old 07-26-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Question about \"Kill Pots\"

You would be the blind, but I have never played in a game where the blinds went up for a kill pot.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:59 AM

It's possible that we play that wrong. We use the term "Kill Pot" if, during our cash game, the same person wins two hands in a row the blinds are doubled. If that person wins a third time in a row then the blinds are double again and so on until that person doesn't win the hand-

Thanks for the help-
Old 07-26-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's possible that we play that wrong. We use the term "Kill Pot" if, during our cash game, the same person wins two hands in a row the blinds are doubled. If that person wins a third time in a row then the blinds are double again and so on until that person doesn't win the hand-

Thanks for the help-

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally with a kill pot the players in the blinds should be posting the regular blinds, the player who is killing the pot should be posting the kill blind.

So lets say you were playing a game with $5 $ $10 blinds.

The person who won two hands would post the $20 blind so now you have three blinds a $5, $10, and $20 blind.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the help-

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally with a kill pot the players in the blinds should be posting the regular blinds, the player who is killing the pot should be posting the kill blind.

So lets say you were playing a game with $5 $ $10 blinds.

The person who won two hands would post the $20 blind so now you have three blinds a $5, $10, and $20 blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the typical way of playing a kill pot. Note that the game is now a 20/40 game for limit. In no-limit, players have to put out 20 to call.

The killer usually has the option of completing the action too (unless there is a raise in front of him).
Old 07-26-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the help-

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh, I wouldn't want to play in that atypical kill pot game- you could be getting no hands and have to pay extra-large blinds because someone ELSE won a pot?

What you're doing isn't standard. Based on your description, yes- you'd have to post the triple blind, as the BB for the current hand.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:33 PM

Hey thanks for the help on this...

I think we will try it this way next week-

Just so I understand, if a person wins two hands in a row, then that person has to post the "kill blind" or double the big blind and then the bet (unless raised) is now that- The sm and big blinds only have to put out the normal blinds, but if they want to play they have to call the extra?

Thanks again for the help-
Old 07-26-2007, 03:39 PM

Yes, Now the Kill does get an option to raise (like a regular blind would)

Some places play that the kill acts in its regular turn, other play that unless it is raised you skip the Kill and then the kill gets its action after the big blind acts (assuming no raise)
Old 07-26-2007, 03:40 PM

You have it exactly right. But just to be sure...

* blinds stay the same (if neither killed)
* the person responsible for the kill posts it, regardless of position
* the amount of the kill is the amount to open
* the person who posted has the option to raise when action is on him/her

I haven't tried a kill in a NL game before... I may suggest it some time. Not that we need any more action, it's already crazy.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:06 PM

Thanks for all the help- I've already talked to some of the guys and we are going to do it this way from now on...