Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Focusing on SNGs and cash games at the same time

I'm still trying to discover myself as a poker player. I was first introduced to the game through TV and tournament style. As such I gravitated to SNGs. This was about 3 years ago. Over that time, I have been most successful at low level SNGs. I have taken my share of beatings at the cash games but I am drawn to them.

Over the the last 6 months. I have gone from nearly busto (attributable to tilt and chasing losses which I think is more detrimental with cash games) to a BR of around $2k (I know big whoop!). Latest BR accumulation has largely been done through focusing on SNGs while almost limiting my cash game play to zero.

Last month I began playing cash games again and racked up a decent winning month in both cash and SNGs ($800 total for the month and about $450 in cash and $350 in SNGs not counting rake back which amounted to about $150). Intrigued by my cash game success, I continued into July and have posted another winning cash game month around $200 and on track for rake back of around $250. However, my SNG results have slid considerably and I'm down $400. I'm wondering if my dual focus has contributed to my SNG slide. It could also be variance. I sometimes play 4 tables simultaneously.... 2 SNGs and 2 cash game tables. Is that advisable? In any event, I'm curious on how others have approached this.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Focusing on SNGs and cash games at the same time

Don't mix them. Realize that the play for either is dramatically different and take into account variance when looking at short term results.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:15 PM

When you say don't mix them I assume you mean play exclusively SNGs or cash games in a given session (stay away from the 2 tables of each)? I assume many players play SNGs for a couple hours and switch to cash games (or vice versa).
Old 07-23-2007, 02:26 PM

I play 2 SNGs and 2 cash games at the same time. I would attribute your recent SNG loss just to short run variance and I wouldnt get too worried about it. If it helps, i make my theme for cash games and tournaments different (stars).
Old 07-23-2007, 02:38 PM

Good idea on the theme. Thanks. Good to know I'm not alone with this "style".
Old 07-23-2007, 03:15 PM

You've played long enough that you should be able to play both. I know I couldn't play both during the same session, that's just because I'm retarded. If you were really new, then I would say concentrate on one or the other. If you feel like playing both at the same time, do it.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:16 PM

if this is at all helpful, i dont think theres an issue with having both games in your repertoire, but if youre playing more than 4 tables of either id recommend playing SNGs at specific times and cash at others and not mixing them into the same session unless you know you are capable of complete and seperate thinking exclusive to both games.