Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Can I fold one of these?

Suppose you doing two multitable tournaments, one on pokerstars and one on FTP, both at $20 buy-ins. Blinds are 10/20 and 5/10, respectively, starting stacks 1500.

You receive AA on the pokerstars table and there are two all-ins in front of you - one with an avatar of a cockaspaniel and the other with an avatar of Daniel Neagreanu, and then you receive AA on the Full Tilt table and there are three all-ins in front of you - one from a smiling donkey, one from an angry monkey, and one from a sad fish. You blink once, the donkeys' face turns from smiling to angry and THEN back to smiling again. As you decide what to do, your cat walks into the room and begins to scratch at your bed...this is the first time this has happened in a month.

What's your plan for both of these hands and why?

Barry
Old 07-17-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Can I fold one of these?

ban (This is my first post like this...ever)
Old 07-17-2007, 04:51 PM

i have a solid read that avatars going from happy to angry back to happy is usually pocket purple horseshoes. fold it.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:52 PM

plan? we dont need that, this is so standard.

we fold obv, cause we dont get our 70%+ equity we need to make a pfcall for all our chips this early. if it where a 30+3 we might have to think about it, but here our edge is just too great to be taking these kind of gambles.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:02 PM

What do avatars have to do w/ the price of rice in China?
Old 07-17-2007, 05:02 PM

Hand 1 on stars... I'm all-in. I hate cockerspaniels. Always check check checking...damn spaniels. But then again...Negreanu is good and very tricky. He might have 3 aces. I fold. Damn I'm tight and good.

Hand 2 on FT. ... If the cat is black fold. If the cat is white shove. If the cat is ginger coloured, hit time out, and run outside and ask your ferrie tree what you should do, then hurry back.

After this I cut way back on the meth for the next hour until the donkey's face stops changing and [censored] with my mind. Then I reload for more multi-tabling.

I could give you more details but I need exact stack sizes and position.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:32 PM

The fact that maybe I understand the reasoning for making this post makes me sad.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:01 PM

The answer is the call IF AND ONLY IF there is a larger stack behind you of whom you are absolutely sure he will jam as well.

Then fold....because AA can lose so much potential in a 4 way pot....
Old 07-17-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

we fold obv, cause we dont get our 70%+ equity we need to make a pfcall for all our chips this early. if it where a 30+3 we might have to think about it, but here our edge is just too great to be taking these kind of gambles.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? To quote fossilman, "if you knowingly pass up a 60:40 opportunity, you're not a top player." How can it possibly be wrong to take 3-1 odds on a hand where you're getting 60+% equity? Under the worst scenario I could think of vs. three players, AA gets 53%; under anything reasonable its more like 67%.

Anyway Barry, I'm sure you've long ago analyzed the sticky where I found the fossilman quote, so I suspect that what you're really asking is: "What do I do when it seems that the poker gods have utterly turned their backs on me?" I think the answer is that either you believe in the inevitable triumph of reason despite all evidence to the contrary, or you don't. If you do, you suck it up with the knowledge that whatever it is you're going through cannot last; if you don't then you turn to chess, where the poker gods can't get you.

But don't do that, cuz we'd miss you!

Good luck!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? To quote fossilman, "if you knowingly pass up a 60:40 opportunity, you're not a top player." How can it possibly be wrong to take 3-1 odds on a hand where you're getting 60+% equity? Under the worst scenario I could think of vs. three players, AA gets 53%; under anything reasonable its more like 67%.

Anyway Barry, I'm sure you've long ago analyzed the sticky where I found the fossilman quote, so I suspect that what you're really asking is: "What do I do when it seems that the poker gods have utterly turned their backs on me?" I think the answer is that either you believe in the inevitable triumph of reason despite all evidence to the contrary, or you don't. If you do, you suck it up with the knowledge that whatever it is you're going through cannot last; if you don't then you turn to chess, where the poker gods can't get you.

But don't do that, cuz we'd miss you!

Good luck!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Got one.