Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Just bought a Wii...

What games are recommended? How many wimote/nunchucks do I need?

So far I love the bowling and tennis, golf is OK but so far I suck, and baseball and boxing don't seem too interesting to me. I'm already bored with the Sports package though.

How is Wii Play?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Just bought a Wii...

I played a few of the wii play games and it kicked ass
Old 07-05-2007, 12:55 PM

i'm ALMOST in the same boat, getting one in a week or two. i've heard Zelda is a sweet game. you might want to check out mario party 8, i played that with my family and it was a lot of fun.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:39 PM

loved zelda... consider picking up RE4 if its out on wii yet if you havent played it... Its one of the top all time games (on GC)
Old 07-05-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What games are recommended? How many wimote/nunchucks do I need?

So far I love the bowling and tennis, golf is OK but so far I suck, and baseball and boxing don't seem too interesting to me. I'm already bored with the Sports package though.

How is Wii Play?

[/ QUOTE ]

As for how many Wii Remotes and nunchucks you need, that's totally dependent on how many people you intend on having play with you at the same time.

As for Wii Play, it's not very good -- it's essentially a collection of hackneyed mini games. I have a soft spot for one of the games, Tanks, but there's really nothing all that exciting. But it does come with a Wii Remote, so if you need a Wii Remote, it's probably a good value, even though the game isn't all that fun and doesn't have any real replay value.

As for "good" games, Resident Evil 4 (if you don't already have the GC or PS2 version) is definitely worth a purchase. It's a great game. Zelda: TP (which everyone else here has mentioned) is quite good too. I really like Super Paper Mario as well, and highly recommend it.

Other than that, though, there isn't a whole lot on this console yet. If you're a fan of mini-games/micro games, you might want to consider WarioWare, Rayman Raving Rabbids, or Mario Party 8. There are some cool, niche kind of games like Trauma Center, but there's really nothing else that's all that good/isn't done better on another console.

I assume nicholasp will be here soon to tell you that Metroid, Smash, and Mario are coming out later this year, and he's excited. Also he may go through a list of other yet-to-be-released Wii games and explain why he's excited about those as well. Then 4high will arrive to say he's skeptical those games will be any good.

I'm probably closer to nicholas's point of view, which is to say that the Wii's life cycle looks a lot like the Nintendo DS, which had a few good games at launch, then had a lengthy period of uninteresting games until developers learned to create unique and interesting games using the touch screen controls and capabilities that the DS has. Much of what's been brought to the Wii so far was intended for the GameCube or other consoles, and just had Wii controls tacked on. Once developers hit their stride and really harness the Wii motion capabilities, the quality of games should improve.

If that doesn't happen -- particularly if third party developers never get the hang of designing for the Wii -- then the Wii may end up like a next-gen GameCube, where the Nintendo-developed franchises like Mario, Metroid, Smash and Zelda are the only worthwhile purchases.

Speaking of GameCube: if you never had one, you should consider buying some GameCube games because the Wii is backwards compatible. It wasn't a great system, but there were a handful of good games, most of which can likely be had quite cheaply if you buy used.

Also, I didn't touch on the Virtual Console, which has a lot of good games.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:08 PM

The Godfather Blackhand Edition kicks ass. I really don't know why this game gets overlooked. This is by far my favorite Wii game. It's similar in style to GTA, so if you like those games, you'll like this.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:55 PM

warioware
Old 07-05-2007, 04:12 PM

Excite Truck (some people don't like this game. I don't understand them at all, I love it)
Zelda
RE4
Rayman and Raving Rabbids (bunch of mini games)
Blazing Angels (WW2 dogfighting game. I'm just getting into it and it's pretty fun but not challenging yet)

I would suggest against Super Paper Mario. Game is too easy, pretty boring and very heavy on the text. It's fun at first, but once you start hating the game it's a slippery slope to putting it down forever.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for Wii Play, it's not very good

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't disagree more, for the value, Wii Play is amazing. A Wii remote costs $40, Wii Play is $50 with 9 games. Probably 2 or 3 of the games have very low fun value, but the rest of them are great. I love Tanks, the cow racing game, the "duck hunt" and fishing is fun too.

I haven't gotten anything else yet, just ordered RE4. I played the new Zelda game, it's fun but certainly not better than Ocarina of Time. It seemed to still be getting used to using the Wii mote, future games will get better. I'd wait for Metroid 3 and Super Smash Bros Brawl.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:04 PM

I put in massive Tanks sessions from time to time. I forget what my record is, but I've seen the black tank and it's a mofo.

I can't think of a single game that requires more than 2 Nunchucks. Otherwise, get as many Wiimotes as you'll ever have individual players. (BTW, you can bowl with as few as one if you don't mind sharing.) Mario Kart 64 (Virtual Console) can use as many as 4 Classic Controllers.