Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 04:48 AM

Default $60 B&M Tourney

Alright, this is only like my 2nd or 3rd post here, so please bear with me.

Middle stages of tourney, started with 45. Top 9 get paid, and we are down to 17 players.

I have about 7200 chips with blind at 200/400, giving me an "M" of about 12. I am in the small blind, and am holding QQ. Cut off raised to 1400. My read on him is that he is loose, aggressive. What really lead me to that conclusion was that less than two hands ago he raised preflop, C Bet into a draw heavy board, was re-raised, then folded.

Anyways, he's in the cutoff, and raised. I thought he was trying to steal, so i insta push with my queens. BB folds, and he calls, showing AA.

Now, my question is, was that a bad push? I know that he is loose aggressive, not to mention he was in late position ( our table was pretty weak). But at the same time, i know we're not far off from the money.

Please help me. I feel so sick right now. Was that a donk move?
Old 07-14-2007, 06:26 AM

Default Re: $60 B&M Tourney

chip-sizes would be great - specially from villain (what was his m?)

basically a push with the 3rd best hand in poker against a LA-villain should always be +EV
Old 07-14-2007, 07:31 AM

Don't post results...

I think you could have played this better, you say he was LAG and thought he was stealing, yet you push. Did you want him to fold?

You also say he had c-bet previously, whats wrong with a flat call, and hope he bets out on the flop.

With QQ you need to be thinking about how you get the most value from hands that are worse, which is going to be 95% of the time, not worrying about how you can avoid runing into aces.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:21 PM

he had me covered. about 10k in tourney chips. i really wasnt worried about avoiding aces... i had him on small pair, suited connectors and high cards. IMHO, i really just wanted to steal the blinds + his preflop bet, which was more than enough value for me. hehe.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:13 PM

He's made it 1400, you have 7200, it's push or fold, the fact that he's c-bet once before doesnt mean you should flatcall QQ here (maybe AA and maaayybeee KK). And you should be shoving most pairs here, QQ is huge, bad luck. Don't overrate "being near the money"
Old 07-14-2007, 05:15 PM

thanks. jus wanted to know if it was +EV or not. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-16-2007, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's made it 1400, you have 7200, it's push or fold, the fact that he's c-bet once before doesnt mean you should flatcall QQ here (maybe AA and maaayybeee KK). And you should be shoving most pairs here, QQ is huge, bad luck. Don't overrate "being near the money"

[/ QUOTE ]

I really disagree, especially based on the guys read that he thought this was a steal. If your m was greater perhaps, but 9/10 the guys going to fold and you've only won whats in the pot. A flat call gives the greatest chance of getting more chips in the pot. QQ is huge, which is why should be happy playing it post flop against what will probably be just one other player.

If you are push-folding at this stage of a tourney, you aren't playing poker and are missing a lot of good oppurtunities.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:52 AM

ur nuts jammy u cant flat call and see a k high board wat do u do then? Wit that stack size and wats in the pot this is an auto shove. Y take the flop and allow him to play optimally, that was a +ev spot to shove u just ran into a bad spot its called a cooler but u made the right play
Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 AM

if he's stealing and has a crap hand he's going to fold to your push, where as if you flat call he might a) try and steal on the flop, or be catch a pair below a queen and bet out at you. There's plenty of ways which you can play this which don't allow him "to play optimally".

Whats your point with the K high flop, sure it would make it hard to play but this is the case with QQ anytime. If your M is a hundred would you be pushing pre-flop? I doubt it.

I agree that at some point as blind sincrease this becomes a push, I just don't think we are there yet. Sure the push is the easiest option, but if poker was easy then everybody would be winning.

I agree that the push is +EV, I just think there are better options.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats your point with the K high flop, sure it would make it hard to play but this is the case with QQ anytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

it wuold make it easy to play QQ if you just shoved over his raise, which should be done 98% of the time in this spot, with these stacks