Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Specific Bankroll Management Question

Hi, regular reader, 1st time poster.

Im looking for some help with Bankroll Management. I would firstly like to describe my situation so you can give me the most customised advise possible.

Ive been playing online poker for roundabout 2 years with mixed fortunes. I am a recreational player

Recently I deposited $400 in a new site and very aggressively decided to jump into 50/1. (I did have more money I could put in so I wouldn't say that was my bankroll as such). Anyway before long I was past $1500 and was so happy with my progress I made another wild jump up to 1/2. It was at this stage that several people warned me about BR Management. I decided at that point that I would not step up again till I tought the idea through proparly.

Today my account balance stands at $5682 exactly.

Im very happy at 1/2 and have played 26k hands to date on this site.

I am a recreational player and therefore have no immediate plans to withdraw from my BR.

I feel I have a significant advantage over the opponents I have faced so far and believe they are worse than the average 50/1 player on Full Tilt.

I have studyed the area of tilt recently in the book "poker:your worst enemy" and feel i have reasonable control over my emotions at this point.

I am a TAG player.

I have became accustomed to playing on very skimy BR's in the past and feel I could benifet from a more controlled BR.

My questions to you are.

When should I consider playing 2/4, 3/6 etc given my situation. What BR should I look to have before playing each??

How important is BR management in the qualities of a good poker player over say things like strategy, win rate etc.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Specific Bankroll Management Question

If you have 5.6k I think you could take a 4 buyin shot at 2/4, and move down if you drop down to a 4k BR.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have 5.6k I think you could take a 4 buyin shot at 2/4, and move down if you drop down to a 4k BR.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is good advice.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:47 PM

general advice is here:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post11029944

given your a solid tag in control of tilt, my post i made there id apply to here (slightly changed for your BR at the moment):

play 2-4nl as a 4 buyin shot

if you go down to $4K, drop down to 1-2nl.

but if you go up to $11K, play 3-6nl. you have a 5 buyin shot at 3-6nl. if you lose these buyins, then go back to 2-4nl.

play 3-6nl till you get up to $17K. you then have 20 buyins for 3-6nl ($12K) and a 5 buyin shot at 5-10nl.

this is a solid way to never go busto but play relatively high with a bankroll.

remember by moving up and down limits at set amounts, you are significantly increasing the number of buyins you have.

for example, at $17K, you have 5 buyins at 5-10nl (12k to 17k), 6.6 buyins at 3-6nl (8k to 12k), 10 buyins at 2-4nl (4k to 8k) and 20 buyins at 1-2nl, so in total a bit over 40 buyins. you should never go busto hopefully.

i think sticking with an aggressive bankroll management like this is well worth it. being able to play 5-10nl when only your roll is $17K is pretty good, especially when its a 5 buyin shot and you have an effective 40 buyin roll.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, what?

id wait until at least 10k before taking a shot at 2/4.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. just be sure you drop like immediately if you hit 4k, otherwise before you know it you'll be busto and left wondering what happened
Old 07-15-2007, 07:00 PM

how good are you at counting cards in multiway pots though?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, what?

id wait until at least 10k before taking a shot at 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-15-2007, 07:33 PM

I'm in the transition of 1/2 - 2/4 at the moment and I take a 5 buyin shot every time my account hits $10k, dropping down immediately if I drop to $8k. Attempt 1 failed, back to $9.5k now, so will take another shot at 2/4 tomorrow morning. A few months ago I was a huge bankroll nit and was playiong 1/2 with about $18k (waiting for $20k to move up to 2/4), but I think an aggressive strategy is much better, especially since I think I am playing way below my skill level at 1/2.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:47 PM

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I'm transitioning between 1/2, and 2/4 and currently I'm game selecting 2/4, basically playing 3 tables of 2/4 and 3 of 1/2.

My BR is currently at 14.5k.