Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Hope this isn\'t googletarding- Identity Theft

Mods-feel free to move/delete if inappropriate.

Long: See summary at bottom

My identity was stolen about 4 years ago. I had gone to a 'friend of a friend' accountant for the first time. About an hour after my taxes were completed, I got a voicemail from a credit card company asking me for authorization on a new account. The following week I got calls from 4 more places. I contacted all the credit unions and they flagged my account. I tried to file a police report on 3 separate occasions, but got the run-around every time (i.e., there's a 3-hour wait, come back when we're not busy, and the place is literally empty).

The issue went away temporarily, but recently I was turned down for a loan due to 'deliquent accounts'. Upon checking my credit report, there was a $300 phone bill from Florida Bell (I live in Illinois, never anywhere else). Additionally, I was told I was also turned down because 14 new credit cards were issued to me in the last 90 days. My credit report did not show this.

To top it off, just got a letter from MasterCard saying they're lowering my credit limit because of "a history of deliquency with my creditors on my credit file."

My credit score prior to this was about 800. It's now 550 and dropping. Anyone have any experience dealing with identity theft? I've done some searching for 'credit repair', but I'm hoping to get some personal recommendations, as that's another area that's heavy in fraud. Thanks in advance for your help.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>

Summary: Identity theft- who can I call?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Hope this isn\'t googletarding- Identity Theft

I'd get a police report now. Then contact all the credit bureaus and dispute the items that aren't yours. Not sure what to do to prevent new problems going forward.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:54 PM

clarkhoward suggests:
Old 07-13-2007, 02:54 PM

if u have homeowner's insurance, u may have ID Theft protection as part of ur policy