Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 03:09 PM

Default New Mets hitting coach: \"This is Rickey, calling on behalf of Rickey\"

Rickey Henderson was named the new Mets hitting coach.

Yes, that is the same Rickey Henderson who was playing poker in the clubhouse with Bobby Bonilla during the extra inning game 6 of the '99 NLCS.

Yes, that is the same Rickey Henderson who, while playing with the A's once asked teammate Billy Beane where he had been for the past month (he had been sent down and recalled a month later).

Yes, that is the same Rickey Henderson who, while playing for the Mets, referred to Steve Phillips as "yo, GM." On the radio today Steve said that he was confident that Ricky had no idea what his name was.

The Mets hired Rickey Henderson as their new hitting coach.

Yes, that is the same Rickey who, in June 1999, when Henderson was playing with the Mets, he saw reporters running around the clubhouse before a game. He asked a teammate what was going on and he was told that Tom Robson, the had just been fired. Henderson said, “Who’s he?”

Who was Tom Robinson?... The Mets hitting coach.

So lets hear it boys, what are some of your favorite Rickey Henderson stories?

edit: Spelling
Old 07-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: New Mets hitting coach: \"This is Ricky, calling on behalf of Rick

My favorite was when he used to spell his name Rickey.

And when he almost fell down the opposing team's dugout steps while watching a homer and taunting them.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: New Mets hitting coach: \"This is Ricky, calling on behalf of Ricky\"

all Rickey Hendersons speaking through Rickey Henderson combining into one Rickey Henderson...
Old 07-12-2007, 03:16 PM

The Olerud helmet story is so good that I don't even care that it isn't true.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Re: New Mets hitting coach: \"This is Rickey, calling on behalf of Rickey\"

Listen, people are always saying, ‘Rickey says Rickey.’ But it’s been blown way out of proportion. People might catch me, when they know I’m ticked off, saying, ‘Rickey, what the heck are you doing, Rickey?’ They say, ‘Darn, Rickey, what are you saying Rickey for? Why don’t you just say, ‘I?’ But I never did. I always said, ‘Rickey,’ and it became something for people to joke about.”

“Lou Brock was a great base stealer but today I am the greatest.”

“I like playing for Oakland, they have a very colorful uniform”

Yes, that is the same Rickey Henderson who was playing poker in the clubhouse with Bobby Bonilla during the extra inning game 6 of the '99 NLCS.

“I think playing cards gave me the opportunity to relax in the game.”
Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Olerud helmet story is so good that I don't even care that it isn't true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? It has to be true. Only Rickey Henderson could be that unobservant of his teammates.

My favorite Rickey quote, early 90's while in Oakland; "I could play harder if they paid me more money".
Old 07-12-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: New Mets hitting coach: \"This is Rickey, calling on behalf of Rickey\"

This one might be my second favorite. This wasn’t too long ago, I think it was the year he ended up playing with the Red Sox. Anyway, he called San Diego GM Kevin Towers and left the following message: “This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball.”
Old 07-12-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: New Mets hitting coach: \"This is Rickey, calling on behalf of Ric

-- On Billy Martin's rule that players must show part of their stirrup, Henderson said, "Tomorrow I'm going to put a big bucket in the middle of the [clubhouse]. We're all going to throw our socks in there and I'll burn them."

-- On a private meeting with George Steinbrenner to discuss his criticisms, Rickey insisted he wasn't bothered one bit. "I'm like a branch floating in the breeze," he said.

-- On manager Lou Piniella putting him in centerfield, "Centerfield? I ain't playing centerfield. I don't care. I ain't playing there." (This quote seems to me to be the best of Jim Mora's "Playoffs?" and Allen Iverson's "We're talking about practice!" combined into one.)

-- But nothing topped the start of spring training in 1989 for Rickey, considering for the fifth straight season with the Yankees he did not show on the report date. This, however, did not please new manager Dallas Green.

Not that Rickey cared. He had his own explanation, saying he flew from Oakland to Atlanta to Baltimore to Miami to Fort Lauderdale, then found out he had no hotel reservations for spring training. "Yeah, I was ticked off," he said. "I had no place to stay. You're calling me and telling me to come to spring training. You don't have a place [for me] to stay. Why come to spring training?"

The story was vintage Rickey. Told Green was not happy with him, he said, "Upset with me? The manager ain't even met me. How can he be upset? What can he be upset for? I might be early. He said I'm late . . . I have business. I have things I've got to do before I get to spring training . . . My itinerary told me to be here today. Their itinerary told me to be here Wednesday. My itinerary told me to come here Thursday and be dressed Friday. I guess they misprinted it."

Even then, people were using the Rickey being Rickey phrase, including Rickey himself.

"Rickey's gonna be Rickey. Period. No matter what I'm going to do or play or come here early, I'm gonna be Rickey. Rickey is not going to change and not be himself. I've been in this world too long to try to change Rickey and what he does . . . My mother don't even try to change me. She raised me, but she ain't gonna change me.

"But what is 'being Rickey?' . . . What is 'being Rickey?' . . . Doin' his own thing? What is it I'm doing different? What am I doing? I didn't come on a day that he said. I came when I could make it."

-- Speaking of Rickey's mother… he said after the A's won the World Series that season that he wanted to be a football player, but his mother, Bobbie, wouldn't let him. Rickey was still angered by that. "If she had let me go to college," Rickey said, "I could have become Bo Jackson before Bo Jackson." But… does Bo know Rickey?

-- Remember when Rickey broke Lou Brock's stolen base record and proclaimed over the loudspeaker, "Today, I am the greatest of all-time." That's not all he did. The day before, Henderson arrived in the clubhouse and handed out specially made flyers with the words, "I was there when Rickey Henderson broke Lou Brock's all-time stolen-base record of 938 with steal number 939." He also had t-shirts commemorating the event ready to go.

-- Here's a good Rickey being Rickey moment. During the 1992 season Rickey was unhappy with his contract, which was a common theme during his career. He told the Sacramento Bee, "'I'm not happy, so I'm going to ask to be traded. It's been going on too long. I don't think I'm treated fairly. They don't deserve what I do." Of course one day later he back-peddled, saying, "You are fools. It's a big joke. Rickey tricked everybody. Thank you all."

-- Now let's fast forward to Rickey's short but eventful time with the Mets. He explained on his first day of spring training in 1999 that part of the reason he doesn't always know teammates' names is because, "I like nicknames." And, also, he said, "I never get that close to pitchers."

-- He started camp just 1-for-20, but he wasn't worried. "If Rickey had to get on base right now, Rickey would."

-- He enjoyed a fine 1999 season at the plate, but his play quickly became overshadowed by the show he put off the field. He grew irate at Bobby Valentine for taking him off the field for a defensive replacement during a playoff game, which essentially was the turning point with the Mets. He started the 2000 season unhappy, though in a way only Rickey can be unhappy. "I came here, I was a happy man today. I'll be happy tomorrow. Even if I'm talking unhappy, I was happy." Then, at the start of the season, "When Rickey's not happy, that's not good." Two days later, "My head ain't on right… I'm in a bad situation, a bad way. I hate it. I hate where I am." He went on to say he had a "garbage contract," which he partly blamed his agent for. But it wasn't meant to be, and the Mets released him in May. "I'm going fishing," he said.

-- And, one final story I came across was a bizarre shouting match Rickey had with none other than El Duque during a spring training game in 2002. It wasn't clear what exactly bothered El Duque. He began yelling and they eventually had to be held back. "He needs to grow up a little bit," Rickey said. "I ain't a kid. When I broke into the game, he was crawling on his hands and knees. Unless he's as old as I am. He probably is."
Old 07-12-2007, 03:53 PM

"Rickey doesn't use steroids, and Rickey's half the league.".
Old 07-12-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Re: New Mets hitting coach: \"This is Rickey, calling on behalf of Ric

[ QUOTE ]
"Rickey doesn't use steroids, and Rickey's half the league.".

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
A reporter asked Henderson if Ken Caminiti’s estimate that 50 percent of Major League players were taking steroids was accurate. His response was, “Well, Rickey’s not one of them, so that’s 49 percent right there.”

[/ QUOTE ]