Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Basic flush draw question

Hi all, I don't think this is anywhere near complicated enough for the probability forum, so I'll post here to confirm what I'm thinking.

When at the table, I use the approximation of outs x 2 for the turn to bring what I need, and x4 for the turn or river.

As such on a flush draw (2 on flop, 2 in hole) I have 9 outs, so 18% chance of making the flush on the turn, or 36% of making it by the river.

What pot odds do I need to call however? Do I base it around making the flush by the river, or do I base it around making the flush on the next card (smaller %).

I beliveve it would be based on the next card, as the turn would be other unknowns such as another bet, can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Cheers.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Basic flush draw question

Yes. For calling, always consider the odds for the next card as there will be betting going on after the next card has been dealt. So you have a 18.75% chance making it on the turn, which you can approximate to be 20%, therefore your odds are 4-1 against (80% not making the flush to 20% making the flush), and you should call whenever the pot lays odds higher than that.

The 35% chance of making the flush by the river becomes important in multiway pots; with at least another 2 people in, you should strongly consider raising flush draws for value (and free cards) because you have a pot equity edge.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Basic flush draw question

[ QUOTE ]
The 35% chance of making the flush by the river becomes important in multiway pots; with at least another 2 people in, you should strongly consider raising flush draws for value (and free cards) because you have a pot equity edge.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yup. If calling the bet puts you anywhere close to all-in you can make the call (or, preferably, just push) more liberally. Also, there are 2 more things to consider: If you don't have the nut flush draw you need to consider whether your opponent isn't drawing to a better hand than you might make. And, if the stacks are deep, don't count too much on implied odds. It's easy to think that calling the bet will allow you to stack your opponent if you make your flush, but often the action shuts down when the third flush card hits.