Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 02:27 AM

Default computers and your health

if you use a computer for several hours a day, how might it affect your health, such as your eyes, your face (causes wrinkles?). Do computers give off harmful UV stuff?
Old 07-14-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Re: computers and your health

Wrinkles? WTF? Where did you get that idea?

Most office workers sit in front of computers for 5 or 6 hours a day at least, and there is no epidemic of wrinkles. Hell, most college students spend more time than that. You can google for electro-magnetic radiation but I don't think there is anything definitive about it. Again, lots and lots of people spend lots and lots of time in front of these machines and we don't have lots and lots of people in hospital for computer related problems.

That being said, make sure you have comfortable, ergonomic chairs and desks to minimize the rist of repetitive stress problems and try and look across the room every once and a while to give your eyes a break.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:29 PM

Most people I know who sat in front of CRT's experienced noticeable degeneration in their eyesight within a year, sometimes within a shorter period than that. The new generation technology, LCD's, I don't think works like that.

If you want to decrease glare and protect your eyes, there are lead-impregnated glass screen protectors you attach to your monitors, but they're often only in stores for really small sizes, and I haven't seen them for widescreen monitors. Often at any decent size you have to go to the web. I'd recommend these for decreasing flare and increasing color saturation alone. The former has a big effect on eyestrain and can make looking at your monitor much more pleasant and less fatiguing. If you decrease glare, you will not have to squint as much -- and yep, squinting will indeed cause wrinkles.

Whether they make them for widescreen LCD's, though, is another matter.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 AM

You consider something giving you wrinkles as impacting your health? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]