Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Hands I butchered NLCASH

I've been playing very solid poker lately and have generally been happy with my play... so happy in fact, that I haven't felt the need to post any hands in the last 15-20k hands.

That aside I played a horrible session last night. I feel it's important for players to set aside their egos and post some of the worst of the worst for others to comment and even berate.

At one point this donk had $760 vs my $100 at $0.50/$1.00. He was obviously running like Jesus, but I certainly could have pulled this session off as a mild loser or even break even ( I ended up winning a $300+ pot before he left [fully expected] ).

I have my notes I took on this guy... keep in mind that the confusing part is that for some of the following hands, I did not have the complete read (I was adding to the notes). I did know right off the bat that he overplays TP.

Here are my exact notes:
-overplays TP
-fires many many many barrels
-turns hands into bluffs a lot
-will never fold 2 pair
-leads with air OOP
-large 3bet range - in cycles though A7o
-CR flop strong
calls SO [censored] light
-draws to J high flushes when CRed on the flop with no other pair or draw

Hand 1
Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 2 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

Hero (BB): $183.75
SB: $147.45

Preflop: Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB raises to $2.00</font>, Hero calls $1.00

Flop: ($4) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">SB bets $4.00</font>, Hero calls $4.00

Turn: ($12) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">SB bets $12.00</font>, Hero calls $12.00

River: ($36) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">SB bets $36.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $165.75</font>
Pot Size: $294.90 ($0.50 Rake)

My thoughts: I figured that a LOT of hands could not call a river push. For weeks I've stayed away from these types of bluffs because the biggest leak for SSHUNL players is they stack off way too light. I felt I could fold TP easily and up to even top two.

Hand 2
Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 2 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

BB: $506.40
Hero (SB): $108.40

Preflop: Hero is dealt 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $3.00</font>, BB calls $2.00

Flop: ($6) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $6.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $19.00</font>, BB calls $13.00

Turn: ($44) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $35.00</font>, BB calls $35.00

River: ($114) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets all-in for $51.40</font>,

Pot Size: $216.80 ($0.50 Rake)

My Thoughts: He had been donking OOP A LOT!!! I had not fought back until I flopped a set. I had not CRed the flop much at all. I think my read was pretty spot on, but given my reads on just how light this guy stacks off, I'm not sure it was the correct play. I guess there are just some players for which deviating from ABC poker (just playing hand strength) is tremendously -EV.

Hand 3

BB: $302.80
Hero (SB): $104.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $3.00</font>, BB calls $2.00

Flop: ($6) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5.00</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $21.00</font>, Hero calls $16.00

Turn: ($48) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $48.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $80.00</font>, BB calls $32.00

River: ($208) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $208.00 ($0.50 Rake)

My Thoughts: This was the first time he had CRed the flop. I generally believe a flop CR from a player like him is a draw or a hand I had beat with second pair good kicker. I think my turn push was atrocious and just complete spew. If he was on a FD, there's a good chance he has the As and he isn't folding anything. I suppose in my mind at the time I was slightly tilted and thought I was pushing for value.

Hand 4

Hero (BB): $104.00
SB: $129.70

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB raises to $2.00</font>, Hero calls $1.00

Flop: ($4) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">SB bets $4.00</font>, Hero calls $4.00

Turn: ($12) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $12.00</font>, SB calls $12.00

River: ($36) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $35.00</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $88.00</font>, Hero calls all-in for $51.00
Uncalled bet of $2.00 returned to SB

Pot Size: $208.00 ($0.50 Rake)
My Thoughts: I think I played this hand pretty well actually. The only debatable street is pre-flop obviously. I have a really hard time with pre-flop min-raisers. You are getting such tremendous odds to call that I find myself playing ridiculous hands at times. Given what villain ended up having, pre-flop was correct as it is in most cases. Generally I don't really fear a board pairing HU for 1 buy-in with a flush.

Hand 5

Hero (BB): $100.00
SB: $410.30

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB raises to $3.00</font>, Hero calls $2.00

Flop: ($6) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">SB bets $6.00</font>, Hero calls $6.00

Turn: ($18) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">SB bets $18.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in to $91.00</font>, SB calls $73.00

River: ($200) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 All-In)

Pot Size: $200.00 ($0.50 Rake)

My Thoughts: Again, these are the types of plays that I've actually stopped running at lower stakes because players will stack off with any Q and most T's here.

All thoughts, comments and beratings are welcome. If you do wish to berate, at least please provide something constructive along with the berating.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Hands I butchered NLCASH

i mean you basically said it yourself, most of these plays are spewy, high variance and unneccesary against weak opponents and you pretty much already know that.

unless your oopponent is super aggro, pretty easy to drop hand 1 on the turn and c/f &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; crai on river because of a couple reasons but namely people don't vb thin enough at this level i would presume so there arent a lot of marginal Tx hands that are folding, nor will he be folding anything other than pure bluffs (which obv c/c takes care of anyway)

i know it's easy to get frustrated but I prefer to just dump your hand to the flop lead, you have like 0% equity when your flop raise is called. as played he is neeever folding river bc he usually has 2pr or at least pair+big diamond and will be upset his draw missed and be more inclined to call (+ getting good odds)

hand 3
checking flop is ok. as played calling c/r is fine but i prob shut down on turn, you have zero fe and dont fare well against his range

hand 4: standard, wp, pf is fine imo (better than 85o)

hand 5:
i realize since u didnt 3b pre you were trying to figure out other ways to win the hand so you were planning on making a move on the turn, but then u actually picked up a decent draw

i like lead&gt;c/c&gt;c/r
crai w/ marginal/decent fe, 8 outs, and one to come is just not neccesary to maintain a high winrate in these games
Old 07-09-2007, 04:50 PM

I appreciate the analysis.

To be honest, after getting up to $150 and then doubling through, so it was $500 vs $300 he insta-left (as I knew he would) I made myself a drink and felt OK about the session since it was on the heels of some really really good sessions.

Just for laughs, my flop CR on hand 2 actually turned out to be for value. This guy was pretty bad.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:54 PM

I aint fell for this,

Nice try for table image tho [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Kiddin

Scout
Old 07-09-2007, 05:13 PM

No No No... I really did play this bad. =)
Old 07-09-2007, 05:14 PM

LOL.. RUNNING LIKE JEASUS. classic..i must have played the same guy it seemed like his fold button was not working. could never seem to get hom to fold eve n 2nd pr. here is my take FWIW
hand#1
obv. the out of position call pf, is questionable. but this is a hand that i belive you can stack someone with given the right flop. and agianst this type of opp. im certain that even the best players will call this more often than not.i think with this flop my first reaction would be to check raise the flop to see how strong he really is, but here we know our villian calls WAY thin, and i think you can argure for either a fold or a call. the turn is a def fold for me at this point you have to belive that your 5 is beaten.imo. as played though i dont see how you play it any other way. to many hands fold to this push.
#2 supper aggro against a super donk...you played as you had the nuts, im sure he called with a less that flattering hand. o well. as plaed if i was running a bluff like this i would have decided if i was gonna take this all the way, and push the turn for a bit of an over bet, and make him decide if he wanted to continue, or check behind on the turn and the river.
#3 if that in fact was the first time he c/r the flop, i would have thgought hard about calling. i would need to see a k or an 8 on the turn to continue.
Hand#4-standard i think. well played, just ran into jesus..i suspect. obvpre flop..we all make this call from time to time.
#5 agree with the small stakes comment. most will stack off here with 10x8x-10xA or any queen. it was justified though
i think, against this opponent. your gonna win this about 20% of the time i think( maybe 15%) if he calls.
over all. not good but not that bad. IMO, the only hand that was really bad, was hand #2, which i just think you could have gotten away from.
My thoughts.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:59 PM

Grunch,

Hand 1 I wouldnt even play this OOP and Id also fold the turn. River push is very unnecessary IMO especially against this type of player.
Hand 2 Dont like the flop raise, turn bet, and I doubt you have much if any FE on the river but probably the best street.
Hand 3 Id probably fold this flop and definitely fold the turn. I think your read about the first c/r is probably wrong especially if hes leading OOP with air.
Hand 4 Your pot odds arent as important as your position IMO but everyone else on this board will probably disagree with me, Im much tighter against minraises than most ppl but I think its correct, the difference between getting 2:1 on a preflop call and 3:1 isnt that big because the real money is won or lost after the flop and position and hand strength have a much bigger impact on this than your pot odds. Everything else seems fine.
Hand 5 Bad texture hand, flop and villain to float OOP against and I agree I think you get looked up light but mainly because you dont represent anything well enough. Id be surprised if he folded Tx here.

Good post though, always good to think about leaks.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:05 PM

Thanks for all of the analysis so far.

Please keep in mind that Hand 1 was the earliest in the match. I knew he over-valued TP at this point, but the board in which he went crazy with A6o, was Axxxx, where xxxx wasn't coordinated much at all so I had not yet seen how scared he was by flushes/straights etc. It's not really a defense of my play since you could easily say, "if you didn't know, don't make the move..." just wanted to give all a glimpse of the thought-process.

It would be interesting to have some debate, perhaps another thread, on what your calling range should be OOP vs. a min-raise pre-flop. I've flip-flopped a lot on my strategy there, from calling with ATC to keeping the same range as against a 3BB raise.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:54 PM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

1. Just so bad. For reasons others have said.

2. I think almost always giving up after getting called on the flop is best.

3. Listen to Snipes

4. Obv fine

5. Like a flop c/r is he is c-betting often