Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Women\'s Wimbledon Question

I have a small local that I bet with. I went to check on the price of Federer to win wimbledon (-350, which actually seems bettable). But the real question is...they have these odds listed for the womens:

Mauresmo +500
Clijster (no odds listed, but I assume not part of the field bet)
Serena: +300
Venus +800
Hingis +2000
Petrova +2000
Myskina (no odds listed, but I assume not part of the field bet)
Jankovic +800
Dementieva +4000
Schnyder +4000
Field +150

The part I'm wondering about is the Field bet. The field includes the #1 seeded player (Justine Henin).

Because of this, is this field bet bettable? I don't know much about tennis at all, but this seems like it should be a decent bet (even though the vig on this bet is sickeningly high).

Thoughts/comments?

Good luck all,

hd
Old 06-23-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Women\'s Wimbledon Question

-350 is a terrible price for Federer. He's -245 right now on Pinnacle and opened at something like -220. Your local is just taking advantage of the public ZOMG INVINCIBLE mentality about great athletes/teams, which is probably a good idea for them.

It looks like Sharapova is ALSO part of the field bet. Did you seriously not notice this, or did you just accidentally leave her out? If she is, I like +150 pretty well.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-350 is a terrible price for Federer. He's -245 right now on Pinnacle and opened at something like -220. Your local is just taking advantage of the public ZOMG INVINCIBLE mentality about great athletes/teams, which is probably a good idea for them.

It looks like Sharapova is ALSO part of the field bet. Did you seriously not notice this, or did you just accidentally leave her out? If she is, I like +150 pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess I'm glad I didn't fire on Roger. Yeah, I'd be a sucker there.

THere are a few names that are available on the women's field...sharapova, kuznetsova, Chakvetadze, Ivanovic...

I hadn't really looked, I just instantly noticed that Henin wasn't listed. The oddity of the #1 seeded player being part of the field is what piqued my interest.

I may bet small on this...

Thanks for the help/insight.

hd
Old 06-23-2007, 11:12 PM

If it helps, Henin is like +190 at Pinnacle right now. I don't really know what the "true" line is though.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:29 AM

This is really not where you are going to make a lot of money in tennis. The vig is ridiculous. You can get Federer on Betfair at almost 1.50 which I think is decent value but otherwise I would stay away from these futures bets. I am going to spend a lot of time coming up with first round picks and I believe there is a lot of money to be made the first 2 days of wimby. I will post my thoughts tonight.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:01 PM

Clijsters is retired she played her last tournament a cople of monts ago in Antwerpen (Belgium).Wimbledon is a very nice tournament to predict.You can make a lot of money in Round 1,2,3. About the Field bet Sharapova is in my eyes not in too good shape. Sharapova lost last weeks final in Nothingham aganist Jankovic. But she's always playing well at Wimbedlon. Henin is favorite for the Trophy also Mauresmo S.Williams Jankovic if she is not injured.I like the field bet but not the odds.Good Luck this week.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:13 PM

If those are truly the only listed players, which I have a very hard time believing, Field at +150 is just good old fashioned man-on-bookie rape.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If those are truly the only listed players, which I have a very hard time believing, Field at +150 is just good old fashioned man-on-bookie rape.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i was thinking the bookie and/or customer got it wrong.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:02 PM

Monday's matches here is what I'm taking.

Giquel over Hernych 1.50
double Berrer/Muller 1.35
treble del potro/pavel/Lee 1.55
Stepanek over mathieu 1.83
Falla over Querrey 1.83
Old 06-24-2007, 08:10 PM

I am also taking a shot at Fleishman over Haas at a 3.00. Haas is not in shape to play but the question is whether or not his B game is good enough to Beat Flieshman.