Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 05:21 PM

Default did i play this hand wrong?

The blinds were 100/200 and i had AQ in middle position.only one person who was on the short stack had called the blinds before the action got me. So i decided to raise it another 200 just to make it harder on the short stack. The big blind and short stack called. Flop came A,K,Q. BB checked,short stack raised Allin so i just called hoping that the BB would also call since he had a larger stack of 5000. instead he raised Allin which i thought was great, so i called him with my 3500 only to find out that large stack had flopped a straight and i was way behind. (short stack had QJ)

Did i play this wrong? should i have known or piked up that the BB had flopped straight?
Old 07-04-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Re: did i play this hand wrong?

Don't min raise. Post the HH or at least give us the stack sizes. Don't min raise. Any reads? Don't min raise. Depending on his stack I'll either put him all in or make it about 700 - 1000 preflop. Don't min raise.

Are you committed on the flop, either way this is a pretty tough lay down. Don't min raise. What's the buy-in for this event. Don't min raise.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:48 PM

And don't min-raise.

You want to make a real raise and isolate the shortstack. Make it at least T$800, more if the table is particularly loose behind you.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:51 PM

Thank you
Old 07-04-2007, 05:58 PM

You should only min raise for value when you have a hand thats unlikely to be outdrawn, in this case you needed to isolate the initial caller and put him under pressure. As it turns out you had him dominated.

By min raising you allow speculative hands like J,T in cheap and A,Q doesn't play well in a multi way pot.

If you had raised more you would most likely have won either the blinds and the limpers call (500) or he'll call
be dominated, short stacked and out of position, or he'll push all in, in which case about 70% of the time his chips will head your way.

If you were worried about being re-raised pre-flop your only in bad shape against 3 hands and you won't run into them often enough to worry about, besides you had enough chips to fold to a re-raise.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should only min raise for value when you have a hand thats unlikely to be outdrawn

[/ QUOTE ]

Making a bigger raise that you still think will get a call is better though.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You should only min raise for value when you have a hand thats unlikely to be outdrawn

[/ QUOTE ]

Making a bigger raise that you still think will get a call is better though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very valid point.