Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Reselling Iphones

You can get 2 per person.
They're available online through the apple website.
The dude I talked to on the phone from apple said they have "plenty" (whatever that means) in stock because they are expected a high demand.

Does anyone see this as worthwhile? I'm very much doubting this could be anywhere near as +ev as reselling PS3s turned out to be.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Reselling Iphones

When the "Matrix" phone came out, I believe it was retailing at like $499, my friend got a hold of a couple and was selling them in the mid to high $800's, I don't see why that wouldn't be the case with the iPhone unless there are going to be soooo many that all demand would be satiated.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:10 AM

It really depends on the hype. There are a couple iPhone pre-auctions on ebay right now starting at $1200 with a BIN of $1799. I am considering waiting in line but it isn't worth it unless I can move at least 5 or 6, but it's not worth it if I can only make around $100/phone.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:14 AM

iPhone sucks. Motorola will rape apple on the cellphone market. expect apple share sub-$100 by december
Old 06-28-2007, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It really depends on the hype. There are a couple iPhone pre-auctions on ebay right now starting at $1200 with a BIN of $1799. I am considering waiting in line but it isn't worth it unless I can move at least 5 or 6, but it's not worth it if I can only make around $100/phone.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stores have a 2 per person rule, so you have to average a pretty decent markup on the phone just to breakeven for paying the person who waits in line for you. The good thing is that all apple stores have a cash return policy (according to the guy I talked to at the apple callcenter) so the downside is limited.

edit: also, the apple store is selling them online, so I dunno why people would go to ebay to buy them. At least with PS3 we knew there was going to be a shortage because of manufacturing problems they were having.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:15 AM

people are selling their 'line-waiting' services for a few hundred, so there is money to be made

i have to work, so i'll be trying to buy online; i'll try to buy 2 and have my wife buy 2; then we'll sell them on ebay if it works
Old 06-28-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The stores have a 2 per person rule, so you have to average a pretty decent markup on the phone just to breakeven for paying the person who waits in line for you. The good thing is that all apple stores have a cash return policy (according to the guy I talked to at the apple callcenter) so the downside is limited.

edit: also, the apple store is selling them online, so I dunno why people would go to ebay to buy them. At least with PS3 we knew there was going to be a shortage because of "manufacturing problems" they were having.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-28-2007, 02:58 PM

I've been thinking about it and with no knowledge of how much stock Apple has I think I am just going to buy some online, and if I can't ebay them I'll just return them in store, Time spent in line also has to overcome my earn from poker over that span and unless I could flip the phones for double MSRP I don't believe that it is worthwhile.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:19 PM

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/...es.biz2/6.html
Old 06-28-2007, 05:56 PM

Report: 3 Million iPhones Available at Launch
If this is true it seems like demand will not be that high for resale of these phones, but I think it could easily be driven high enough by people hoarding them with the intent to flip them.
I'm guessing some people will make money on flipping these, but nothing resembling the profitability that console flipping has seen.