Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Fascism

I define fascism as Milton Friedman defines it : the merging of state and corporate interests.

I do not blame corporations for their crappy products. While at first glance it is obvious the corporate structure is incredibly inefficient compared to small business, the authoritarian command and control structure of a corporation is necessary in our current world. It is the only structure Reptillian and Machivelian enough to survive the economic conditions our government imposes, arbitrarily.

In a corporation, the word comes down from the head honcho, Mr. CEO and is echoed by his subordinates. At each step it bifurcates, echoing louder and louder. In this manner arbitrary conditions at the very bottom of the structure and be complexly controlled by a single man or a single board of directors. There is nothing wrong in and of itself in this structure so long as it is voluntary at every step of the way; which indeed it is. It is wrong for us to say to others what voluntary association they choose to partake in.

But I think a rational observer can see this is not going to result in the best product. When you have millions upon millions spent on advertising, well that is waste. These people create no product but they do consume the resources of the beast; ultimately this must be paid from someone. When you have CEO's getting paid 50 million dollars, I do not say this is wrong, but I do wonder who pays for it.

Often, the barriers to trade that government put for whatever idiotic reasons can only be overcome by the large corporations that exist, in large part because of that. Do people really want to pay $4 for Starbucks coffee? Or is it just too hard for the mom and pop to navigate license fees, ridiculous applications and regulations, and to pay the thousands in dollars each month the government demands each month (property tax).

In this way, governments and corporations feed off each other. Corporations are oh so willing to obey the laws and regulations of the government, the government gets the feeling that these regulations don't hurt anyone. Corporations always provide a steady source of income for the government because everything follows the law rigorously; indeed it is in the state's interest to encourage only corporations. Like war, McDonalds is the health of the state.

The solution is simple. Get rid of the government regulations and taxes that target business and watch the corporations crumble. The reason people eat at McDonalds is because the government puts all the best alternatives to it out of business.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Re: Fascism

Morally, you are correct.

Economically, I think you are a bit off here and there.

But I totally support your conclusions and their foundations, which is really all that matters.

You could look up some things behind the economics of advertising on Mises.org, and possibly some other things about international trade and other large companies.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason people eat at McDonalds is because the government puts all the best alternatives to it out of business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a bad effort overall, but let me show you something: Web search for restaurants.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:18 PM

Even without a government to tax and regulate, I think it will be hard for a small business to come up against a large one.

In a remote area, an independent coffee house can be built and thrive. If a Starbucks is built next to it, the independent coffee house won't thrive. The power of marketing afforded to huge corporations is not afforded to smaller businesses. Small business cannot compete with larger corporations because they are more powerful. The phenomenon is attributable to capitalism, and not governments.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:21 AM

You realize corporations are government creations, right?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You realize corporations are government creations, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

corporation- is a legal entity which has a separate legal personality from its owners or members.

"Stewart Kyd, the author of the first treatise on corporate law in English, defined a corporation as "a collection of many individuals united into one body, under a special denomination, having perpetual succession under an artificial form, and vested by the policy of the law with the capacity of acting in several respects as an individual, ...".

What part about this is a government creation. The closest you really get is "vesting by the power of the law" but as any ACer will tell you, ACland isn't without laws.

They're just big businesses, and big businesses will form over time from successful small businesses. Corporate darwanism.

Cody
Old 07-04-2007, 01:16 AM

The modern corporation depends upon limited liability. To qualify for this limited liability, you have to have a charter. Where do you think the corporation gets this charter?
Old 07-04-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The modern corporation depends upon limited liability. To qualify for this limited liability, you have to have a charter. Where do you think the corporation gets this charter?

[/ QUOTE ]

From the law, not the government. The laws may empower a government agency to issue said charter, but it's still those laws responsible for the creation of charters.

Cody
Old 07-04-2007, 01:26 AM

Corporations will exist whether there is government or not. Even if the government is involved now, it doesn't have to be involved for a corporation to exist (if there was no government).

Big businesses will swallow up small businesses regardless of the presence of government.

It is a function of capitalism, not government.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I define fascism as Milton Friedman defines it : the merging of state and corporate interests.

I do not blame corporations for their crappy products. While at first glance it is obvious the corporate structure is incredibly inefficient compared to small business, the authoritarian command and control structure of a corporation is necessary in our current world. It is the only structure Reptillian and Machivelian enough to survive the economic conditions our government imposes, arbitrarily.

In a corporation, the word comes down from the head honcho, Mr. CEO and is echoed by his subordinates. At each step it bifurcates, echoing louder and louder. In this manner arbitrary conditions at the very bottom of the structure and be complexly controlled by a single man or a single board of directors. There is nothing wrong in and of itself in this structure so long as it is voluntary at every step of the way; which indeed it is. It is wrong for us to say to others what voluntary association they choose to partake in.

But I think a rational observer can see this is not going to result in the best product. When you have millions upon millions spent on advertising, well that is waste. These people create no product but they do consume the resources of the beast; ultimately this must be paid from someone. When you have CEO's getting paid 50 million dollars, I do not say this is wrong, but I do wonder who pays for it.

Often, the barriers to trade that government put for whatever idiotic reasons can only be overcome by the large corporations that exist, in large part because of that. Do people really want to pay $4 for Starbucks coffee? Or is it just too hard for the mom and pop to navigate license fees, ridiculous applications and regulations, and to pay the thousands in dollars each month the government demands each month (property tax).

In this way, governments and corporations feed off each other. Corporations are oh so willing to obey the laws and regulations of the government, the government gets the feeling that these regulations don't hurt anyone. Corporations always provide a steady source of income for the government because everything follows the law rigorously; indeed it is in the state's interest to encourage only corporations. Like war, McDonalds is the health of the state.

The solution is simple. Get rid of the government regulations and taxes that target business and watch the corporations crumble. The reason people eat at McDonalds is because the government puts all the best alternatives to it out of business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Benito ????? Is it really you !!!!