Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 03:12 PM

Default JJ big stack vs bigstack $30 stars

We are ITM in this $30 stars tourney with 40 left (top 45 paid). I have just won the previous 2 hands taking my stack from t12,000 to t21,000. The first I raised on the button and took it down preflop, the latter hand I had called a BB squeeze with 88 (he had 66).

Villain in this hand came to the table ~2 orbits ago. He has opened a few pots in late position so far, but hasn't shown anything down yet.

I am now sitting ~6th in chips with ~t21,000 and villain has me just barely covered.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (7 handed) internettexasholdem.com

BB (t25880)
UTG (t16520)
MP1 (t3430)
Hero (t21162)
CO (t22786)
Button (t1999)
SB (t27928)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2400</font>, CO calls t2400, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Normally I bet out here, but I decided to check as I was pretty sure villain would bet at the pot if checked to. He obliges me:

Villain bets out 3200

Hero check raises 15512 to 18712 and is all-in.

Questions:

What range are we putting villain on? I would say a lot of pairs at least 77+ and AQ/AK

If I decided to lead out flop do you bet and call a raise or bet fold? What if villain just calls?

Taking my line check call seems bad to me. So if I check raise should it be all in like I did, or make it ~9000.

If I make it 9000 I've now committed half my stack. If he moves all in do you then fold or call?

Is checkraising all in losing value by folding out most worse hands and only getting called by better?

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: JJ big stack vs bigstack $30 stars

bump can anyone give their imput on this hand please?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:39 PM

I'm the last guy you want advice from, but...

From your range I would eliminate 77-99, as he is clearly not going for set value, with your PF bet exceeding 10% of your stack. I have seen a lot of calls with AJ and KQ, however (I play low stakes).

I'm too lazy to do the math right now, but it seems like you're a big favorite against ~2/3 of his range and a big dog against ~1/3. So I'd be check-shoving for sure.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:30 PM

I like it a lot.

As for your questions:

I don't know what his range pf is, but I wouldn't be surprised if bet the flop with his entire range. I guess something like 22+ AJ+ KJ+ QJ, and is probably not betting the worst part of this range.

If we lead and he raises I would push. If we lead and he calls I would lead all turns.

If I cr it is for an all in.

If I cr to 9000 I'm calling a push, but I guess you could fold.

Probably but against a lot of the hands you beat there are a lot of cards that can come that will slow them down. And your not getting much out of ace high hands anyways. A better hand is never folding so I think its best to try to get the most out of 77 to TT.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:08 AM

I think the CR all-in is perfect. It looks a lot like he has some marginal holding where he is planning to make a play whether he hits or not. Why?

1) The two previous hands give you something of a loose image - 88 aren't the best cards you'll ever flip over.

2) He has a tight enough table image to pull this play.

3) From his perspective, you might perhaps feel easier about losing 2400 chips having gained 9000.

With this hypothesis, I think the CR all-in is perfect. If you lead the pot, you're either going to miss out on any chips he might bluff away or you're going to find yourself faced with a very tough decision.

If he checks behind, you should probably be leading at any turn card.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. He called with KK and it held up.

I just needed to affirm I made the right play at the time. Ants summed it up perfectly. I was very surprised when he flipped up KK, just never expected him to cold call with it.