Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Can you install a wireless internet card on a desktop?

im a fool. Can you install a wireless internet card onto a desktop PC? Do you have to unscrew the back or have it done professionally? I know on a laptop you just slide it in the card slot.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Can you install a wireless internet card on a desktop?

Yes you can. You can use a PCI card (inside your computer) or a USB card (plugs into USB port on outside). USB cards are as easy as plugging in a mouse and installing drivers. PCI cards are easy to install as well, but they require opening your case. I have had better luck with PCI cards, but I haven't used any USB cards in about a year.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:11 PM

Funky's info is right. I've used both on customer's desktops and both work fine. The PCI cards seem to usually pick up the wireless signal better, especially if they have an external antenna on a cable. Here is an example that I've had great success with. NewEgg link Installing a PCI card couldn't be easier and the software setup is simple.

However, if you are really concerned that you don't know how to install the PCI card, the USB option is a safe bet. As for a USB option, I have had great luck with this model. NewEgg Link 2 If you are close to the router and don't think that signal strength will be an issue then something cheaper, without the cable that allows you to get the antenna out from behind the pc should work fine.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:24 PM

if you go the USB route, make sure your computer has USB 2.0 ports.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:59 AM

I use a USB card. Just plug it in any USB port and you're set. You won't get as good a connection as a card inside the computer but then again im guessing that one won't get as good a connection as a laptop with built in card. The connection is stil very fast.

I shouldn't be even complaining since I used dial up for almost a decade of suffering.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:36 AM

thanks for the help went to CC and picked up a USB one and its working right now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2007, 02:09 AM

I have a related question: Do any of the national carriers (Sprint, Verizon, etc.) offer a USB card that could be used on a desktop? Dial-up is simply becoming insufferable and is all I can get in my rural area. Thx
Old 06-30-2007, 12:57 PM

Glad that worked for you PokerChap.

JP, I can't answer that question, however I'm sure there is some sort of an option they can offer. I started looking into this for one of my customers but stopped short because after finding how slow the speeds were going to be, compared to the cost, she opted for satellite internet access. It's not cheap, but it's getting more affordable. Have you looked into that?
Old 06-30-2007, 07:48 PM

When my desktop connected wirelessly, I replaced the PCI's external antennae with one of those "booster" antennae that are intended for routers. Worked like a charm.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a related question: Do any of the national carriers (Sprint, Verizon, etc.) offer a USB card that could be used on a desktop? Dial-up is simply becoming insufferable and is all I can get in my rural area. Thx

[/ QUOTE ]
I've seen slots that fit into 3.5" bays of your desktop that accept PCMCIA slots. Seemed pretty neat, but I have no personal experience with them.