Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Hybrid & Rescue question

So, I've been playing for few months now after taking lessons, and I'm really hooked. My driver is getting there, 5-9 iron shots are good, P is okay and getting really good with S. Putting is okay.

However, I just can't hit with 3-4 irons and I can't hit with woods neither. I was told that "Hybrid" is what I need. From what I've heard, "Hybrid" swings like iron and hits like wood? I'm wondering if there are any generic ones that fit.. I'm your typical 5'10 guy, average weight. I'm looking for used, searched on E-bay and was give too many options.

Also, I'm also having trouble getting out of rough with irons, so I kinda started using sand to get out to fairway and hit a proper iron shot. I was again told that "Rescue" is what I could use. Same question for this one, is there any generic one that can be used by most people? Any recommended ones?

I'm looking to spend about $100 or less each, used on E-bay. I currently have Taylormade irons/drivers, and some no name S and putter.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Hybrid & Rescue question

They have cheaper Taylor Made hybrids on ebay but this is the one that I am currently looking at purchasing. If you are looking at hybrids I would definitely consdering getting a Taylor Made.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-TAYLOR-MADE-GOLF...1QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-02-2007, 04:53 PM

Nickent hybrids are quite reasonably priced.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 PM

Thanks guys
Old 07-02-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nickent hybrids are quite reasonably priced.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. I recently added the 17degree and 23degree Nickent 3DX Ironwood DC to the bag. They cost $98.00 each at PGA Superstore here in Atlanta. Cabrera had a 3DX in his bag at Oakmont. For some reason they can't mention his name on their web site but this comes directly from the site:

<font color="blue"> Nickent hybrids played a major factor at Oakmont, helping the eventual champion stay away from the brutal rough off the tee. He was the only player to shoot under par in two rounds at the 2007 US Open, a feat largely the result of his accuracy off the tee. The winner used a 17-degree 3DX DC Ironwood with a 42 1/2" Aldila Proto-pype Lo-Brid 85-X shaft. The club helped the player nicknamed "El Pato" to his first major victory and also the first US Open victory for a player from Argentina. </font>

I added the 17degree to the bag after hitting 7 of 8 fairways with the 23degree my first time out with the club last month. Play my first round with the 17degree in the bag on July 4th. Took the 5wood out of the bag (had already taken the 3wood out previously). Hit my R5 about 280, the 17degree around 235 and the 23degree around 215. I'm only using the big dog on par 5s and par 4s where there really isn't a costly miss (read O.B.) off the tee. My best rounds have been where I hit 9, 10, 11 fairways (go figure right) and I'm going to be leaning heavily on these hybrids to put me in the short stuff where the worst I should make is bogey (note my handicap is a 16).
Old 07-03-2007, 01:09 AM

I have a Cleveland Halo that won't perform poorly, no matter how I swing. I use a 19 degree in place of my 3 iron and it's incredible.

If you're new to the game and don't want to spend much money right now, you can always test out the hybrid waters with a clone. Diamond Tour never fails with clones: http://www.diamondtour.com/turner-ab...ub-p-2013.html

You could add two clones to replace your three and four for $80 total. It looks like they carry four lofts there, so you have some flexibility. I'd recommend going to a golf shop or sporting goods store that lets you test drive clubs -- swing a Taylor made hybrid and get the feel for it. If you like it, order the clone and save the money.

Incidentally, the no-name S and Putters are always the best-performing [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2007, 08:52 AM

TaylorMade rescue mid hybrid's are on sale right now at $100, down from $170. great club and i recommend it.