Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 11:44 AM

Default Folding pocket rockets pf

Yesterday on PS i was playing 1/2 nl and i was dealt pocket aces. Player utg went all-in and three players behind him called I was chip leader and i didnt feel like losing my stack so i folded i told the table of my play and they made fun of me was this a correct play?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Folding pocket rockets pf

Unless you read these players as playing absolute junk, you probably had them all dominated, in that most of the cards that make their hand will make a better hand for you.

The odds that your hand holds up would certainly justify the call with roughly 4-1 odds (depending on the other chip stacks).
Old 01-18-2006, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yesterday on PS i was playing 1/2 nl and i was dealt pocket aces. Player utg went all-in and three players behind him called I was chip leader and i didnt feel like losing my stack so i folded i told the table of my play and they made fun of me was this a correct play?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not playing a tournament, so the fact that you're "chip leader" means virtually nothing (and it wouldn't mean enough in a tournament, either). Folding AA there is giving away money. Besides, this situation is exactly the one you want to find yourself in when you have everyone else covered, in order to maximize your winnings!

Edit: If you only win 25%(and you'll win a lot more than that) of the time, you should make this play every single time you have the opportunity to do so. If you don't understand why this is the case, you still have a lot to learn about poker. Luckily, you've come to the right place. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2006, 12:23 PM

Against 4 reasonable hands (KK, AQs, JTs, 76s), your aces win 41% of the time getting 4:1

If you thing folding there was a good idea, then never play poker again.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:29 PM

Not only was folding aces a horrible play, admitting to the table that you did so was about the only move that could have topped it! Use the search engine to find other posta regarding pocket aces, I think reading them will help you understand why this was an unbelievably bad play.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:43 PM

Hypothetical:

You're playing the 2006 WSOP Main Event, 10 places from ITM with the same situation. Do you fold them here?

In a ring game it's a no brainer.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:47 PM

Ha-ha!

The only time that folding AA preflop might possibly be a conceivable move is when:

You're in a tournament at the final table, and several of your opponents move all-in, essentially guaranteeing you third place or better if you stay out of the hand, but threatening to bust you or decimate your stack if you get involved because your chances of winning are reduced to below 50%. In a case such as this, the ability to survive outweighs the awesome odds you're getting and the fact that you're a big favorite.

In a cash game, it is never correct to fold AA before the flop, even if all nine of your opponents move all-in in front of you.

The only exception might be if you were playing on a very limited bankroll (which brings the question of survival into play, just like in a tournament), but in that case you shouldn't be playing no-limit.

Folding AA preflop is a scared money move, and telling your opponents you did it only encourages them to play more aggresively with you.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:49 PM

Okay, okay... this was not a good play. It happens. I would have to counter OrangeKing in the statement that being chip leader "means virtually nothing" in a ring game. In fact, having the big stack at the table is a huge assett, but you didn't get that big stack by making bad plays.

Now, when would be a reasonable time to fold the best hand? The only time I can think of is when you are positive that you have a better than 80% chance of beating the other player out of his or her chips in the long run. The only problem with this is that a player that has slid all the chips in is likely to keep doing it, especially if it worked against you the first time. So, I would almost never fold them.

Well... Imagine being at the end of the WSOP Main Event, there are three of you left and you are in the BB with AA. The under the gun player goes all-in and the button calls with an almost equal sized stack...
Old 01-18-2006, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Unless you read these players as playing absolute junk, you probably had them all dominated

[/ QUOTE ]

You still have them dominated. Never fold AA pf. There are some hypothetical situations where it MIGHT be right to do so, but odds are you (or I or anyone else) will never be confronted with such a situation. So never do it.

JKratzer
Old 01-18-2006, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The only time that folding AA preflop might possibly be a conceivable move is when:

You're in a tournament at the final table, and several of your opponents move all-in, essentially guaranteeing you third place or better if you stay out of the hand, but threatening to bust you or decimate your stack if you get involved because your chances of winning are reduced to below 50%. In a case such as this, the ability to survive outweighs the awesome odds you're getting and the fact that you're a big favorite.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't, are you mad? If you fold you might have a better chance at 3rd place (maybe the lowest stack wins, 2nd lowest takes side pot and big stack loses, then your back to same number of opponents and you folded aces) whoever wins the pot will most likely have a dominiating stack diminishing your chances as first (the big payout), if you push with aces you are a favorite to win a big stack no matter what and a favorite to make first place