Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 05:19 AM

Default The Continuation Bet

I'm not new to poker, but new to NL ring games. Currently playing .25/.50 NL on PokerStars. I seem to be leaking away money with the "continuation" bet. Any advice out there from a more seasoned NL player? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:36 AM

Default Re: The Continuation Bet

This is likely a huge leak for a lot of players. Here are a few things you can do -
(1) Check more flops when you whiff, when you hit, and when you sort of hit (88 on a 47J flop). I'm not talking about slow playing here. I'm talking about increasing the range of hands that you check so that you are harder to play against (i.e. when you check it does not always mean that you missed).
(2) Double barrel more.

If you are not already use "fold to continuation bet" in your HUD display. If someone has a really low number (50 is low) and seems to float a lot, you ought to be double barreling them quit a bit. If they are not making plays, but rather are passive stations, you should just check if you don't have much of a hand. When you do hit a hand, value bet the crap out of them.

The other thing is that you just have to use common sense if your opponents are competent. If you are playing against good players they will know when a flop is likely missed your raising range. If you cannot credibly represent a made hand and your opponents are decent, you should probably check.

Lucky
Old 06-18-2007, 05:39 AM

Dont over-use the c-bet. Learn what types of boards are typically good for a c-bet. C-bet sparingly in multiway-pots.

http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/i...treib0507.html

Very nice read on the subject.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:52 PM

I appreciate the replies!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:25 PM

I haven't yet read it but I recently read this about ftp's new tournament book. I know you mentioned ring games but some of this might still apply. Assuming I found the link in another 2p2 post.

http://www.thehendonmob.com/simon_ga...strategy_guide
"Chris Ferguson discusses how (and when) to bet. The text is recent enough to have accommodated the fact that everyone has now picked up on continuation betting and so hand examples include when not to bother betting in this way."

This has made me wonder if many things i've read in the past about cbets might be changing (or have already changed)...in part because of hud's, etc. I'm new to poker but it seems like I even get played back more than I used to when I cbet.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:45 PM

Opinions on the delayed continuation bet. I use that sometimes and I don't know if I am being fullish with it. Will read the links though, thanks guys.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont over-use the c-bet. Learn what types of boards are typically good for a c-bet. C-bet sparingly in multiway-pots.

http://www.twoplustwo.com/magazine/i...treib0507.html

Very nice read on the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

The graph in the article shows why a c-bet in multi-way pots is less likely to be making you money. It simply fails too much.

Here are some things I think about when I c-bet

1) What is my table image? If people think I'm loose, my c-bet doesn't have as much value as when they think I'm tight.

2) In tournaments, does the value of my c-bet cause my opponent to make a difficult decision? When blinds get bigger, c-bets are more dangerous, but also much more effective. Initiative really goes up in value at this point.

3) Is my opponent an idiot calling station? If so, don't bother or I'm an idiot c-bettor.

4a) What does the flop look like? My favorite c-bet is not when I have AK and the flop comes out all rags. Good players will recognize that that is likely to be a bad flop for me and they raise. Instead, I tend to do best when I c-bet a medium pair after missing a set. If an A comes out and opponents (who I deem unlikely to be on a big A) will have to respect my preflop raise. If you put an opponent on an A or know that you have a weak player who never folds an A when he pairs, it isn't the time.

4b) What about suits on the flop? Think about your c-bet size. Bet it like you would a hand. If the board has a scary draw, c-bet more. Make them think you're protecting your PP (or better) from a flush or straight draw. Similarly, a larger c-bet on an unsuited, unconnected board looks weak. It looks like you are trying to take down the pot. If you had an overpair or TPTK, you might want to get more value out of it. Value bets are scarier than big bets (and guess what? When you're bluffing, they cost you less when they don't work!)

5) On very rare occasions I'll check-raise instead of c-betting. Usually I'm doing this when I'm pretty sure my opponent has a similar hand to mine and we both missed. I do it a lot more live than online, because I need some sort of read to try it.

Just remember that your c-bet is like any other bluff You have to have an opponent capable of folding AND the story your bluff is telling better add up.

I tend to c-bet a lot. One day in a live game the best player told me that if I kept c-betting he was going to snap me off. I showed him my pocket AA when I mucked. It's OK for them to think you are c-betting, just so long as you make it hard for them to call.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:04 AM

Almost forgot..if you c-bet a lot then you MUST bet often when you make a hand on the flop. Nothing better than flopping a set and betting only to get raised by someone who thinks you are c-betting. You've just set the hook and it's time to wrangle in that stack.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to c-bet a lot. One day in a live game the best player told me that if I kept c-betting he was going to snap me off. I showed him my pocket AA when I mucked. It's OK for them to think you are c-betting, just so long as you make it hard for them to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true and very annoying when you know some ones is c-betting but you just cant call. Going over the top is always an option but if they're anyway consistent its a risky one.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:18 PM

what does double barrel mean?