Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 10:19 AM

Default 6max vs. full ring game

I apologise off the top here in case I muck up some of the lingo. Been playing poker for a while, but only really into it recently.

When I sit down to play (at PartyPoker, and occasionally PS) I can never decide whether I want to play 6max or a 10 man game.

So I thought I'd ask here which people generally preferred, and how they chose.

Thanks advance!

Jer
Old 06-24-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Re: 6max vs. full ring game

This is really a question of personal taste imo. Try a few sessions of each and decide which you like best. Also, you dont have to play one game exclusively [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2007, 11:02 AM

Well, I've found that Im generaly better suited to 10 man, but it seems to me that this is a short-coming in my game .. that I dont know how to play when people are playing a wider range of hands, like I dont know how to bluff or strategically bet and that I only know how to play hands that cant lose.

On the other hand, I could be totally off my rocker.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:02 AM

They're both very different from one another and can teach you different things. It depends on your experience - I'm going to assume you're new and are looking to build your bankroll from scratch.

What I did, and I reccomend for anyone, is to start with full ring - learn the basics, learn how to play tight and experiment with playing hands in different positions and learn first hand the importance of position. Learn how to play draws, and extract value on your good hands.

Later, after you have a good foundation with respect to these concepts (and many more), start with 6-max. 6-max is much more read/opponent dependent and it rewards good players more. But it also punishes bad players...I hightly reccomend you have the basics down before taking the plunge.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know how to bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you're playing small/micro stakes, this is NOT something you want to focus on until you move up. It's unneccessary at best and total spew in most cases.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:06 AM

Ya, dont get me confused there. I wasnt saying I was trying it all the time.

Im aware of the uselessnss in that situation, with 15 callers in a 10 man game every hand just becase they want to hit something :P

I just thought maybe there was a science to choosing, as opposed to a personal preference/play style.
This forum sure has taught me a lot though. I donated a lot of chips before I found 2+2 and discovered that my game was as leaky as ... well, something really leaky.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know how to bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you're playing small/micro stakes, this is NOT something you want to focus on until you move up. It's unneccessary at best and total spew in most cases.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. Apart from c-betting you really shouldnt bluff at all imho.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I believe I'll take that and file it under 'they know more than you, so listen to them' and avoid the micro stakes bluffing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jer