Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Raising preflop at Micro\'s

I often question the value of raising certain hands at Micro limits, particularly small pocket pairs and suited conectors(25NL & 10NL).I have tried both blanket raising and raising I guess simply when I want to for reasonble samples of both on different occasions and always seem to make more money when I raise at my discretion. It seems that the raise of 4x to either .40 or $1 is not really a significant amount and will get far more calls than say 4x at 50NL ($2) which people are starting to consider an "investment" in the hand I guess. As the amount of participents increases should I be more inclined to limp even though it is 6 max, given that these raises never bring the folds that are a part of the bread and butter at higher limits I guess or is it still worthwhile raising and the only thing that is changing is the variance?
Old 06-24-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Raising preflop at Micro\'s

If you raise with a small/medium pocket pair and most of the table calls this will be much profitable to you in the long run IMO.

People are much more willing to felt TP or even chase crazy draws when there's so much money in the pot. When you hit your big hand, you'll almost surely get payed off. You might even get 2 stacks.

This is the sole season I'll raise something like 89s from the button even if everyone limped in before me. It has multiple advantages:

1) People will be less likely to take a stab at the pot if they have air or a very weak hand.
2) Because of that, it's likely you'll be able to get a free card if your hand doesn't improve sometime through out the hand.
3) If it gets checked around on the flop/turn, you might even be able to take the pot away on the turn unimproved.

Occasionally I will limp in with a SC or small/medium PP from LP though but this is table-read dependant. If a lot of players have been limp/calling big hands and are super aggro I'll just limp behind and let them hang themselves when I do hit big.

I think the only time when it's safe to limp/check medium PPs might be from the blinds. If 4 people limp and you're in the BB with 33, it seems silly to raise it up.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Raising preflop at Micro\'s

small pot hands: AK AQ, AA KK when the dont hit
big pot hands: small pocket pairs

You raise in micro limits for value. It's the big pot hands that will do you the best in those games.