Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2006, 08:56 PM

Default Bellagio 30/60

Opponent in this hand is a 2p2er, don't know his name. He played ok most of the time, but had made some bad plays on a few occasions such as cold calling an EP raise with JTo in MP in a tight game, etc. In this hand, I'm UTG+1 8 handed, Mason was sitting directly to my left (yah, good seat selection me!), and villian is three seats to my left.

I open K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] folded to villian who cold calls, everyone else folds.

Flop comes JJ9 with one crub. I check, villian checks.

Turn is 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, villian calls.

River bricks and I shrug and check.

I think the flop check is undebateable (hm?), and the turn is a tossup between betting out and attempting a c/r. Given his turn action, I had no fing clue what hand he could have. It would be hard to put him on a PP or J from his flop check, so I figured he was on either AK/AQ or QK. I figured if he had AQ/QK I could get a fold on the river if I bet both later streets, and possibly fold out AK on the river. If he raises the turn with any of those hands, or even a misplayed higher pp or J, then I have 13 outs to improve to a winner. Thoughts?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Bellagio 30/60

The flop is auto-bet time, Ace-high needs to fold and often a weak player will fold Ace high here, press AT to fold.

Once you pick up the world of outs on the turn, check and call but I'm not in this spot with a flop bet.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:23 PM

Bet the flop.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The flop is auto-bet time, Ace-high needs to fold and often a weak player will fold Ace high here, press AT to fold.

Once you pick up the world of outs on the turn, check and call but I'm not in this spot with a flop bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy was not a weak player, and I felt pretty sure that he would auto-raise my flop bet. I wanted to see the turn, and not pay two bets for it. I'm pretty sure I'm behind him, as the only hand I think he coldcalls with that doesn't beat me atm is QK. Also, I think this player knew I would sometimes C/C or C/R a J or high PP in this situation. So, I think this play gives me some extra FE on later streets against hands like AK/AQ/A10 (A10 I severely discount though, I don't think he would cc that against me).

Given the action, check/calling seems week. I pretty much give away my hand, and he will auto-bet the river if I miss with hands I could move him off of by betting/c'ring, and probably folds the river if I hit and donk (which I will).
Old 02-22-2006, 11:00 PM

If all your information says this guy has a AK/AQ/KQ than I would say a bet on the river is worth a shot to get him to fold. Its best to put pressure on just high cards rather than letting him see a free show down. Checking at the river also could give him a shot at stealing the pot with a bet.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:13 PM

Why'd you check the flop?

SGS
Old 02-23-2006, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given the action, check/calling seems week. I pretty much give away my hand, and he will auto-bet the river if I miss with hands I could move him off of by betting/c'ring, and probably folds the river if I hit and donk (which I will).

[/ QUOTE ]

So what did the flop check do? Hrm?
Old 02-23-2006, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what did the flop check do? Hrm?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

This guy was not a weak player, and I felt pretty sure that he would auto-raise my flop bet. I wanted to see the turn, and not pay two bets for it. I'm pretty sure I'm behind him, as the only hand I think he coldcalls with that doesn't beat me atm is QK. Also, I think this player knew I would sometimes C/C or C/R a J or high PP in this situation. So, I think this play gives me some extra FE on later streets against hands like AK/AQ/A10 (A10 I severely discount though, I don't think he would cc that against me).

[/ QUOTE ]

EDIT, when I said check-calling seemed weak, I was referring to the turn action... maybe we're misunderstanding one another.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:52 AM

the way he played it seems kind of weak tho.. its the flop check that doesnt really scream strength.. you probably wouldnt go for a c/r on the flop unless you thought he was very strong and it didnt work.. so why waste a bet here? he'll probably smell something fishy