Old 06-24-2007, 12:52 AM

Default kimbo mercer?

anyone have results or info
Old 06-24-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Re: kimbo mercer?

Kimbo by choke it R1.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:07 AM

Man I really wish Mercer wasnt just there for a paycheck. I train in MMA, but am really interested in how boxers could actually do if they tried. Clearly Mercer did not.

However not to hijack the post, there has been a few "waves" in MMA. From Judo, to wrestling, to the obvious Jujitsu influx (not listed in chronological order). Im just curious as to the affect pro boxers could have in MMA if they where to start to move over.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:11 AM

I already know the affect they would have. 0. At least from K1 to MMA you already have the stances and leg kicks down. Boxers have one half of the standup game in MMA and arent even competitive in other aspects. There are too many differences between boxing and MMA for a boxer to move over. If the boxer trained MMA at the same time as boxing then he would do much better.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:09 PM

I think mercer tried, he was just an old flabby has been fighting a beast. I heard UFC was trying to get Mayweather to fight in the octagon. I think he would get owned by all the top UFC guys. Boxers dont know what to do when someone shoots and get them on the canvas. They are too used to stick and move stick and move.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:12 PM

Mayweather said something along the lines of him being able to beat anyone in UFC. Boxers are better etc...

Then after the fight he said that he only said that to hype up his fight. I wanted to see Sherk destroy him but oh well.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:41 PM

OOT linked to a video of the actual fight:

http://pandachute.com/videos/kimbo_slice_vs_ray_mercer
Old 06-25-2007, 02:00 PM

kimbo fought like a coward

in all kimbo fights hes like no grabbing allowed blah blah then he chokes out mercer like a bitch cuz he didnt wanna go toe 2 toe. I remember in the gannon fight when the worst mma fighter of all time (gannon) beat kimbo rather easily and kimbo kept trying to grab him the whole time in a strictly boxing match
Old 06-25-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

in all kimbo fights hes like no grabbing allowed blah blah then he chokes out mercer like a bitch cuz he didnt wanna go toe 2 toe. I remember in the gannon fight when the worst mma fighter of all time (gannon) beat kimbo rather easily and kimbo kept trying to grab him the whole time in a strictly boxing match

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know, Kimbo had no MMA training before the Gannon "fight".

Why the [censored] would Kimbo try and go toe to toe with a former championship boxer? That's suicide.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

in all kimbo fights hes like no grabbing allowed blah blah then he chokes out mercer like a bitch cuz he didnt wanna go toe 2 toe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even watch the fight? Kimbo was punching the whole first half of the fight while Mercer just covered up. He only took Mercer down because Mercer was refusing to fight.

AFAIK, Kimbo didn't set the rules for this fight, so it makes sense for him to do whatever is +EV in the situation. In his street fights, he does set the rules, so is free to insist on no grappling.