Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 05:53 PM

Default *official howard stern show discussion thread*

since its saturday, theres no current show to discuss, but some things in general that irk me:
first off, they need to stop with the awful mastertape theater on fridays.i cant imagine more than 5% of the listeners actually want to hear that over a live show. its simply a weak excuse for them to take every friday off. id rahter they bring the friday show back over the mastertape crap.

second, lets get rid of the lisa g, john h, and steve l, updates. i dont need lisa g in there for 15 minutes telling me about how they will be interviewing the vending machine guy. nobody is going to hear lisa, john,or steve give their update and say "OMG i have to hear the news today", or "i have to listen to the wrapup show!!". anybody that is looking forward to the news doesnt need to hear any update, because the news is so pathetic as it is. same with the wrapup show, although the wrapup show isnt pathetic, we all know what to expect, and the actual content isnt going to convince anybody to listen. i mean, we all know what to expect, and artie even predicts what john will say.

third, stern is always harping about how long the shows are now. well, id rather they go back to 6-10, and do it monday to friday, and get rid of the lisa,john, and steve in show updates. 6-10 mon-fri>>>>>>>>>>6-11 mon-thurs imo.

question:
does anybody else notice all the hypocrisy stern dishes out?
example: xm misses their projected numbers and he gets all over them about how bad they are and how bad they are doing, but sirius misses their numbers, and he plays it off as no big deal and sirius is doing great?

another note:
it looks like howard is moving toward marriage. does anybody else think beth is in it to boost her career? i mean, i never heard of her or saw her on tv before she started dating stern, perhaps im way off on this. apparently she was /is a model, biut im not sure what level she was. how high can a horse faced model go anyway?

discuss

please note, i bought sirius strictly for stern, and am still glad i did. it would be great if we didnt get any OA lovers in here, as i couldnt care less about them (OA).
Old 02-03-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: *official howard stern show discussion thread*

[ QUOTE ]
first off, they need to stop with the awful mastertape theater on fridays...its simply a weak excuse for them to take every friday off.

[/ QUOTE ]

They had planned on taking many Fridays off long before they got the tapes, so Mastertape Theater is not an "excuse" to take Friday off.

Of course everyone would prefer to listen to a live show over that. But I'll take MT over the Friday Show any time.

When I used to listen to Jim Rome, I got pissed when he went from four hours a day to three. I wanted more, not less. I got over it. You can get angry most (not every) Friday, or you can get over it.

[ QUOTE ]
second, lets get rid of the lisa g, john h, and steve l, updates.

[/ QUOTE ]

The updates aren't so bad. It gives them something to talk about for a few minutes. I'd rather hear about what's going on in the hallway, then listen to another girl undress.

[ QUOTE ]
third, stern is always harping about how long the shows are now. well, id rather they go back to 6-10, and do it monday to friday, and get rid of the lisa,john, and steve in show updates. 6-10 mon-fri>>>>>>>>>>6-11 mon-thurs imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Third" sounds like a re-hash of "First" and "Second". Sure, I want more, not less, as well. It's not happening. Get past it.

[ QUOTE ]
question:
does anybody else notice all the hypocrisy stern dishes out?
example: xm misses their projected numbers and he gets all over them about how bad they are and how bad they are doing, but sirius misses their numbers, and he plays it off as no big deal and sirius is doing great?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything in general points to the fact that Sirius is growing faster than XM. XM didn't just miss their projections--everything about the numbers is bad for XM, and good for Sirius. If the worse thing you can say about Sirius' growth is "they fell just short of their year-old prediction", that's not the end of the world.

That's not nearly as important as "79% (or whatever the real number is) of all satellite radio units sold are Sirius radios, 21% XM (again, I just made those numbers up, but we know that Sirius is drastically outselling XM at this point)."

[ QUOTE ]
it looks like howard is moving toward marriage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't give a damn, so I stopped reading this paragraph after the opening sentence.

[ QUOTE ]
it would be great if we didnt get any OA lovers in here

[/ QUOTE ]

I predict that more O+A fans post in this thread than Stern fans. Sad, really.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:38 PM

youtalk, its not an excusze per se, but they act like theyre doing us a favor by playing it. i guess we wont agree on what is better, friday show or mt though.

agreed on not wanting to hear another girl undress. wtf. and i can do without another janice dickenson appearance too.

the loss of one hour per day wouldnt be too bad if they had a show on friday and they cut out the friggin updates from lisa and others.

i undersatand the sirius growth thing, but if both xm and sirius miss a target, dont say xm sucks and then sirius is awesome as a result.

everybody might not give a damn about the marriage thing, but its a topic to be discussed perhaps.

about the OA, true, it would suck if we get a bunch of them here. i dont think they realize that even with the above negatives up for debate, stern is still better than OA.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:37 PM

I'm a big fan of both Stern and O&A, and it's really sad how the fans can be so polarized against the other side. They are both fantastic shows, and regardless of who you prefer, you're getting some great radio entertainment.

I was faithful to HS from 92-06, and also enjoyed O&A in the afternoons up in Boston a few years back. Now I have XM and only listen to O&A. This was a conscious decision to choose them, I prefer their show.

I have not heard any HS on Sirius, but I was kinda disappointed at him taking half a billion dollars and then taking Friday's off. I remember hearing him go off about how he could never do such a thing. How he feels his fans deserve nothing more than his best, five days a week. Then he gets a sweet deal, and ignores what he claims to be his true commitment.
O&A occasionally run Stern clips where he rediculously contradicts himself, one being the one I mention above. I have stopped caring about that crap, cause it's really just the entertainment business anyways. they all say whatever they can to boost themselves. Everyone in the industry is guilty of that to some degree.

IMO, Stern is the single greatest interviewer of all time. He is great on late night talk shows, and sure can succeed at virtually anything he does. He did a very good show on regular radio, and I'd be surprised if it didn't improve on satelite.

If I bought a car that came with Sirius, I'd listen to him regularly. If I had both XM and Sirius, I'd just flip flop when I didn't like the topic.

Having 14 years experience with Stern, I have no problem saying O&A's show is more enjoyable to me than Stern was back on regular radio. It wouldn't surprise me if Stern's is better now, but I can't imagine that it would be by that much.

Saying one is better than another is just childish. Both shows bring great radio to the masses. It just comes down to personal preference.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:17 PM

Sure, Stern can be a hypocrite/douchebag. Not sure there's a big deal, though, in his profession. If that were the worst of his excesses, he'd be a radio saint.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
youtalk, its not an excusze per se, but they act like theyre doing us a favor by playing it. i guess we wont agree on what is better, friday show or mt though.

[/ QUOTE ]

One reason they play MT is to show you what got bleeped and how pathetic normal radio really is when it comes to talk.

[ QUOTE ]
and i can do without another janice dickenson appearance too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would've thrown Dickenson out. God she was annoying. Easy on the eyes, hard on the ears. She'd be great for a deaf guy or with a big friggin' sweatsock in her mouth.

I would rather hear the Lisa G updates than the marriage stuff. But the updates give a little breather from the regular stuff. Robins news is one of my favorite parts. I love how they interact during it. Stern also will go much longer per day than they did on normal radio. Used to be 4 hours and Stern couldn't wait to get out. Now he'll do 5, sometimes 6 hours.

Sirius and XM: They're competing companies. Stern has just a titch heavier stake in one of them so obviously he's going to slant towards it. Personally, I commend anyone that has either one of them. Screw terrestrial radio. Paying for satellite, imo, is an F.U. to the FCC and all their BS.

b
Old 02-04-2007, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big fan of both Stern and O&A, and it's really sad how the fans can be so polarized against the other side. They are both fantastic shows, and regardless of who you prefer, you're getting some great radio entertainment.

I was faithful to HS from 92-06, and also enjoyed O&A in the afternoons up in Boston a few years back. Now I have XM and only listen to O&A. This was a conscious decision to choose them, I prefer their show.

I have not heard any HS on Sirius, but I was kinda disappointed at him taking half a billion dollars and then taking Friday's off. I remember hearing him go off about how he could never do such a thing. How he feels his fans deserve nothing more than his best, five days a week. Then he gets a sweet deal, and ignores what he claims to be his true commitment.
O&A occasionally run Stern clips where he rediculously contradicts himself, one being the one I mention above. I have stopped caring about that crap, cause it's really just the entertainment business anyways. they all say whatever they can to boost themselves. Everyone in the industry is guilty of that to some degree.

IMO, Stern is the single greatest interviewer of all time. He is great on late night talk shows, and sure can succeed at virtually anything he does. He did a very good show on regular radio, and I'd be surprised if it didn't improve on satelite.

If I bought a car that came with Sirius, I'd listen to him regularly. If I had both XM and Sirius, I'd just flip flop when I didn't like the topic.

Having 14 years experience with Stern, I have no problem saying O&A's show is more enjoyable to me than Stern was back on regular radio. It wouldn't surprise me if Stern's is better now, but I can't imagine that it would be by that much.

Saying one is better than another is just childish. Both shows bring great radio to the masses. It just comes down to personal preference.

[/ QUOTE ]

One big difference between Stern and OA is that the industry turns on Stern's whim. Let's not forget just who the groundbreaker is between these shows. Who paved the way.

I also agree that Stern is one of the best interviewers. He's actually known for that, though it can be buried among alot of things because many don't want to give him credit. He asks the questions that aren't the same old run of the mill crap. I love how he treats alot of stars as if they were just normal.

b
Old 02-04-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It wouldn't surprise me if Stern's is better now, but I can't imagine that it would be by that much.

[/ QUOTE ]

But it is that much better than it used to be.

I'm pretty sure you can get a free 3-day trial subscription at sirius.com, and listen online. It sounds like you need to do that soon.

(I've never heard O+A, not once, so I have no opinion there.)
Old 02-04-2007, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One big difference between Stern and OA is that the industry turns on Stern's whim.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe a year ago, before his move. Now he's rarely even discussed. As more and more people go to satellite and his fan base grows again, I'm sure he'll get back to that level of industry importance, but as of right now the buzz on him is rather low.

[ QUOTE ]
Let's not forget just who the groundbreaker is between these shows. Who paved the way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nobody will argue this point. Not even O&A, they give props to Stern on this.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you can get a free 3-day trial subscription at sirius.com, and listen online. It sounds like you need to do that soon.

[/ QUOTE ]
YTF, O&A are on 20+ regular radio stations around the country. You can also download clips online. I'd suggest giving them an open minded listen. It sounds like you need to do that soon. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'll do the same for Stern.

I'll stay out of this thread now, sorry to hijack it. Perhaps a good general HS, O&A discussion thread is in order (minus all the hating trolls).
Old 02-04-2007, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe a year ago, before his move. Now he's rarely even discussed. As more and more people go to satellite and his fan base grows again, I'm sure he'll get back to that level of industry importance, but as of right now the buzz on him is rather low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, he's still very influential/important in the media. Trust me, they're watching every move he makes. You're just not going to hear about any censorship/gov't fights with him now because they have no power over him. Meanwhile, everyone else that's left just cows down to the FCC. After all, who is really being discussed now? No one.

The media has also tried to show his move as a failure. Which is a joke. Those newsclips on that were funny as hell. What really amazes me is the media seems to care less about their free speech rights.

Regular talk radio blows. Personally, I get/got tired of being told stories over the radio in a way as if I were in the 2nd grade. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] It's so friggin' sterile now. You really realize that when you hear satelite. It's so nice to hear people talk like actual people talk.

Stern rocks!

b