Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 11:49 AM

Default Second Pair

Howdy,

Here are two hands where I flopped second pair and not sure I had taken the right action:

10/20 games in AC neither terribly aggressive.

4 limp and the SB raises I call w/QJs all the others call.

THe flop comes A Q 2 rainbow SB bets and I called I was getting 11-1 and could dump if I don't improve. I wonder if I should just fold as A) it could get raised behind B) I may not win even if I do improve (eg if im up against AQ or AA). But the price enticed me and 2 others called.

The turn was Q making a two flush SB bet again, I raised button cold called and SB folded.

The river was a small club and I check called.

Another I limped behind a limper w/Ac4c , a string of others limped, BB raised so 7 saw the flop.

The flop came 2d 4s Qs. The SB bet and the BB folded I raised one played went all in and called and the SB reraised. He was talking alot saying he only had 35 more... a bad sign but I called.

The turn was the 2s. SB bet again, I called thinking "the pot was big" w/o counting it (I was getting 12-1 and I had best case scenario 4 outs (the 2 4's and A's) but I could drawing thin in alot of scenarios.

I called. The river was a blank and I check folded...

All comments appreciated, I really think in the second the raise is a must and not quite sure about the first.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Second Pair

HAND 1: Fold the flop. The fact that you can get raised behind you and even if you hit 2pair you'll have to dodge alot of redraws is why you should fold the flop even getting those pot odds. If you had a backdoor flush, then peeling the flop would be fine.

HAND 2: Peel the flop, The pot is too big too fold and even if theres a risk that someone behind you will raise its worth taking that chance here. I dont see what raising accomplishes.