Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Congress Woman Berkley on Holdem Radio

The congresswoman was on holdem radio this evening, I believe if you go to the radio site there may be a taped copy available.

Anyway, following the show I sent the following letter.

There are / may be negotiated solutions available for Poker if congress has any clue which they do not.

The letter:
Congresswoman Berkley,

I very much enjoyed your interview on Holdem Radio this evening concerning the state of poker in the U.S.

I am aware members of congress are very busy and really I am sure poker and online gaming is not a real priority, at least I hope not as there are many, many really important issues you all face in keeping our government running and protecting us all.

With this in mind, I feel there are a few points concerning online gaming in the U.S. most, if not all members are not aware of.

Online gaming is alive and well and very legal and is already very well regulated, it is classified as ‘SKILL’ gaming.
You can go to AOL Games, YAHOO! Games, MSN Games, World Winner (www.worldwinner.com) games and many others and wager on games that are predominantly skill.

These CASH COMPITITION games include Solitaire, Free Cell, Spades, Hearts, Backgammon and many others.

The problem is somehow along the way it has been decided POKER is or may be illegal is NOT allowed to be played under the same regulations as the referenced games are.

More importantly these are AMERICAN Companies located in the United States.

The whole mess can be settled and rectified by simply allowing poker be played under the rules / regulations these games are played under.

The sites offering these games comply with IRS rules and regulations concerning 1099 forms for tax purposes and form TDF 90-22.1 (Foreign Bank Account) if your balance ever totals $10,000 in a given year.

If it were to simply be stated by someone in authority that poker is to be offer along with the above games UNDER the same rules and regulations perhaps all these WTO Claims and problems will go away.

With this solution those on both sides of the issue in congress can win as each gets something.

Perhaps Rep. Bachus said it best in the recent hearing, the UIGEA only enforces that which is already illegal.

Given that many ‘SKILL’ card games and other games are LEGAL simply treating poker the same, well, then it is not covered by the UIGEA.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXX